Can't undo (V) brake bolt without unscrewing boss/stud.

MattBlackBigBoysBMX
MattBlackBigBoysBMX Posts: 398
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hopefully the title makes sense, my friend's old Tektro V brakes weren't centering so I thought I'd take them apart, clean them up and sort them out.
Unfortunately, they obviously haven't been touched in a while as trying to unscrew the V brake results in the stud/boss on the fork (Marzocchi) unscrewing.

The only thing I can think of is to screw the whole lot back in using a heftier thread lock on the stud and hoping that will hold it tight enough to undo the bolt. Don't really want to try this as to screw the stud back in I'll have to use the stuck bolt which means I might risk making it even tighter.

Any ideas?
Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when it is out put a spanner on the studs flats.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • There is no flat on the thread of the studs. :lol:
    I'll have a look to see if there is enough meat to machine a flat on the threads.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    8244.jpg

not on the threads above them or is it fully covered by the brake?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    screw 2 nuts on to the threaded side and lock them together

stick bolt end (both nuts) in vice and tighten

now that puppy will screw loose
  • The flat was fully covered by the brake. Was as I just went to take it off and the bolt came free this time. :D
    Cheers for your help, I'll Loctite the stud back in and give everything a good clean.

(Loctite thread-lock, not superglue if anyone was wondering!)
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X