Les Gets - MTB or road bike?

page23
page23 Posts: 182
edited August 2011 in Routes
Being unfaithful to both, I currently ride MTB and road bikes. I'm going to Les Gets for a week. Do i take my road bike or MTB? I an't take both and could hire the other out there so what would be best?

Thanks.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well, why have you booked a Les Gets holiday? To ride some mental mountain bike trails, or to ride some alpine road switchbacks?
  • page23
    page23 Posts: 182
    The trip is a gift. So i just now need to decide how best to use it.
  • Anonymous
    Well, surely you have a preference?
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    It's a no brainer! :? Definitely MTB !!! :lol: Why not hire a road bike while your out there if you have to! :roll:
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    this is a joke right? :?

mtb all the way :D
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Les Gets is brilliant for both road and MTB. How about looking at it this, one benefit of choosing road is that you're going to come back a whole lot fitter, unless you intend not to use the ski lifts if you ride MTB?

There's a good shop in Morzine that will rent out quality road and MTB bikes anyway, so you don't have to choose. Personally I'd rent an MTB locally, they'll be chosen for the particular terrain there, and they'll take a beating that your own MTB doesn't have to see :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    A very good point there dodgy.....On th other version of this thread I said MTB but you ve changed my mind a bit there...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    dodgy, a full day's uplift based DH riding is also going to have a significant impact on your body, but may benefit strength and power more than road riding's aerobic fitness.
  • dodgy
    Totally agree that even uplifted MTB riding is still tough work, nothing like as tough as col bagging on a road bike though. I still maintain that the overall benefit to fitness will be greater on a road bike (in the Alps) rather than gravity assisted MTB riding.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    MTB will be way more fun, leave the road bike at home ;-)
  • J@mesC
    J@mesC Posts: 129
    And a decent DH rental will cost you about 100 quid a day...
  • dodgy
    About £65 for an Orange Alpine 160 http://www.toricomorzine.com/bikehire/

Don't forget to factor in the potential wear and tear to your own rig if you choose to throw it down the runs at Les Gets :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    J@mesC wrote:
    And a decent DH rental will cost you about 100 quid a day...
    dodgy wrote:
    About £65 for an Orange Alpine 160
    Dodgy, you;ve missed out two critical bits of the sentence there, the first being "DH", and the second being "decent" :wink::lol:
  • I don't understand the question....
  • dodgy
    Whatever, you can rent a decent bike for about 60 odd quid. From the same supplier you can rent a DH Orange 224 Evo for £65 a day.
    I was there about 2 weeks ago.
  • Anonymous
    So, you don;t have much of a sense of humour, eh?
  • pots74
    :? Slightly confused?! Why would anyone hire a bike for £60 or whatever a day if you already have one at home?? :? I can understand if you can't transport it there but to suggest that you would save your bike from a hammering for me seems a bit strange! :shock: If you worked out how much you would spend on hire, that would amount to a good service and parts if they needed replacing?? Am i missing something here?? :?

• Anonymous
    Well, you may end up snapping your frame, and may need to replace wheels, forks and rear shock. All that adds up.
    When we were there for a week, we had a vast, and very expensive repair bill. We managed to break an Intense Socom, and a GT-IDrive DH. The GT was unrideably broken.
    That was on top of the forks, brakes, cranks, wheels etc.
  • dodgy
    pots74 wrote:
    :? Slightly confused?! Why would anyone hire a bike for £60 or whatever a day if you already have one at home?? :? I can understand if you can't transport it there but to suggest that you would save your bike from a hammering for me seems a bit strange! :shock: If you worked out how much you would spend on hire, that would amount to a good service and parts if they needed replacing?? Am i missing something here?? :?

But the OP said he was in 2 minds over which bike to take, so one option is to take one bike and rent another (either road or MTB) locally. I don't think anyone is saying don't bother taking your bike on holiday as you can rent in the resort.
  • pots74
    But the OP said he was in 2 minds over which bike to take, so one option is to take one bike and rent another (either road or MTB) locally. I don't think anyone is saying don't bother taking your bike on holiday as you can rent in the resort.[/quote]

Maybe a good idea to check the earlier posts?? :? :roll:

• dodgy
    pots74 wrote:
    But the OP said he was in 2 minds over which bike to take, so one option is to take one bike and rent another (either road or MTB) locally. I don't think anyone is saying don't bother taking your bike on holiday as you can rent in the resort.

Maybe a good idea to check the earlier posts?? :? :roll:[/quote]

Are you asking that question of me, or yourself?
  • Flip a coin and let fate decide - end of story.