Bearing help

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My 2006 Stumpjumper Pro is in need of some TLC and that means new bearings...

I have consulted the manual for the bike and have the bearing sizes etc and wanted a bit of advice on the following when it comes to the pivot bearings;

The current bearings are 6800 series bearings, (6800 for the shock link and 6802 for the main pivot) should i stick with the same series or would there be benefits in upgrading them the another series to increase durability etc? and if so what series?

My next question is does anyone have any recommendations for bearing suppliers?

I would buy the kit from specialized but as they will add a mark up (a considerable one) to a market standard bearing size i would prefer to get them cheaper.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    If you have the dimensions I would go for a bearing retailer as as you say they are much cheaper for the same item. You can then balance cost against spec.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Just spoke to the guys at the Spec shop here in bristol and he suggested stripping the bike down, buying a bearing kit (either theirs or a different one) and then take the frame to them and they will pull the bearings and fit the kit for £30, i just get home and build everything up!
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Tooling can end up the expensive bit. Seems like a good deal
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed