Riding clipped in has made me a wuss

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Went round Sutton Park yesterday for the first time ever. Loads of cool trails and fun stuff there but just wouldn't do half of it now I am clipped in, few years back I would have been stright off half this stuff (I've never been an experienced mountain biker) but yesterday I wussed out on quite a lot.

Oddly it's not the fear of falling off and getting hurt, it's the fear of the panic feeling you get when you're in trouble for that split second it takes to get your feet out.

Going back very soon with my old pedals on and putting the spds on the road bike.

Comments

• Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    This very subject always gets a healthy debate on the go.
    I think most stick to what their comfortable with. I prefer flats myself and after a little spill in 2008, my right lower leg has 11 screws and a plate in it, so the mere thought of SPDs sort of freaks me out.

You also stated you've 'never been an experienced mountain biker', well give it time, as you get more mileage and trails done, your confidence will grow.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Most people feel the same way when they start clipping in, nowadays id do anything clipped in that id do on flats. In fact its comforting to know if things go wrong im not going to get mauled by a spikey pedal. They call them 'Terror' pins for a reason you know!
    "Didn't hurt"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    At the end of the day it's personal choice, but have you tried them with the tension set quite low (assuming it's adjustable)? I find there's no noticeable difference in how quickly I can get my feet down between SPDs and flats, I tried flats for a few weeks again recently and felt how you felt on SPDs, so went back. I have the tension on my MTB SPDs quite low though, so I can unclip easily.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    ive gone back to flats for this exact reason

as has been said, being clipped in over rough ground is good in terms of keeping your feet in one place, but when its time to bail, i prefer to be able to get my feet down asap

true that pins do maul your legs, but i would rather that than have the bike attached to me whilst stacking it (which seems to happen at least twice per ride now)
  • wuss
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • mossychops
    I'm sure I can do anything I can clipped in and clipped out, It's purely the panic feeling I get when I have to unclip fast, that worries me more than coming off.

I am really trying to get a proper wheelie sorted so I will be taking the pedals off for a little bit - did think of putting my V8's on but as Tim says I am more scared of slicing my shins up than being clipped in.

Cant believe my girlfriend live opposite Sutton Park and yesterday was the first time I was riding round there (my mate has my GPS so I probably missed the cool stuff too). Lots of fun to be had.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Compromise - one pedal flat, one spd. Switch them over every month.

Next problem...?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mossychops wrote:
    I am really trying to get a proper wheelie sorted so I will be taking the pedals off for a little bit - did think of putting my V8's on but as Tim says I am more scared of slicing my shins up than being clipped in.
    Five Tens

Sorted

(bigger pins also help)
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    mossychops wrote:
    putting the spds on the road bike.

I would stick to road riding if you can not get round Sutton Park in SPD,s :lol:
  • mossychops
    omegas wrote:

I would stick to road riding if you can not get round Sutton Park in SPD,s :lol:

It's the drop offs and (short but) very steep drops with tree roots giving you a very narrow and windy route down. I didn't know where the proper stuff was so I just went along some trails (these bits were fine lol) and kept coming across some drops to have a go on.

Be fair, everyone starts somewhere. Where's the love?
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Tesco sells cheapo pedals that resemble Welgos for about £9, the pins are cast on the pedal and smooth, so very little chance of shin carnage
    They're actually not bad pedals for the price, I have them on my commuter and on the Cove Handjob XC bike, they work fairly well.

The All Mountain bike uses DMR V8s and yes, they can dig mini trenches in the shin areas as well as on the lower calf area too, although I am pleased to say this doesn't happen too often
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Get multi release they come out easily at any angle. For me SPDs are about holding my feet in a consistent position and enabling me to pedal in circles more easily. Since I don't consciously pull up on them for added power, I don't have a problem with multi's.

I have however, crushed my 'nads on numerous occasions when out on the other bike (rockhopper) as it has flats on.

The problem is the techniques for each type make it hard not to have one or the other as a preference.

My mate has platform SPDs and he finds them a good compromise when he wants to have his feet "free" on the tricky stuff.
  • dubmodder
    dubmodder Posts: 100
    I'm so used to being clipped in now I don't ever think about it. In fact I am more confident clipped in than not.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's all a bit silly really, SPDs OR flats - if you crash, you're likely going to get hurt with either type of pedal.
    If we ride around constantly worried about hurting ourselves, then we may as well give up and go find a safer passtime.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    dubmodder wrote:
    I'm so used to being clipped in now I don't ever think about it. In fact I am more confident clipped in than not.

^ this, i reide everything clipped in, like yeehaa said, if you fall off it hurts no matter what pedals you have :lol:
  • Ive been using v12's and 5tens for about a year on my 5. I have spds on the hardtail. So much better to climb and accelerate on the spds. I put the v12's on the 5 for some technical stuff last year and they have their advantages on winding technical decents, but I still prefer the spds in most situations, but I have been using them for 16+ years.
    But like most things (shimanoV sram, hardtail V fuss suss, Rangers V Celtic etc) its personal preferance as everyone is different!!!!!!
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    I find that when i fall off with sPuds , I tend to naturally unclip mid fall or just as i hit the ground.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I find that every ride with spuds I get more confident. Then I switch to a bike I have flats on and loose the confidence again. I tend to ride moto-x style with the leg hanging out round the corners so when I can't do that quickly it really makes me struggle.

Really trying to get used to them for endurance or racing events but do find the confidence really low and I'm much slower down the hills.

If you've got one bike and really want to use them you'll get better every ride out especially when it becomes second nature but switching between the two systems seems to be more difficult to me.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Love the SPD's now.

My 2p's worth is : commitment, when I had my flats I felt like I could bail more often and did. SPD's I commit more and generally make it.

As a result my drop offs are now not an issue, jumps are getting easier.

Good luck - wind the tension down a bit!
  • pots74
    pots74 Posts: 62
    Flat pedals for me are the best. Many years ago I foolishly tried spd's and had a major crash off a tabletop! Never again!! I bought the original V12's and loved them. Ok you may no get the power performance as spd's like the scientists say but they give you much more confidence and are easier for getting out of trouble! My newest set of V12's finally died last winter and I decided to try the superstar nano pedals. I have to say I'm impressed and they are a lot lighter than the V12's. Will have to see if they last as long though :D
    I have never been lost but I do admit to being confused for several weeks!

Specialized Enduro Expert EVO 2012