MJ-808E Magicshine Bar Mount Brackets?

northtrack
northtrack Posts: 77
edited October 2011 in MTB general
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to source a couple of brackets for a pair of Magicshine MJ-808E lights that I've managed to get hold of, the standard rubber bracket moves about alot i find and I'm looking for something that is mentioned on this forum under a lighting thread, however I'm having trouble getting hold of the bracket part that everyone seems to use.

The Bracket looks like this

4322855211_752633919b.jpg

It was on sale from chain reaction here : http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=12871

But it's now gone discontiuned :(

Anyone know where I can still get them or if anyone has any spares I can buy from them?

Cheers

Pete

Comments

• tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Single bracket still available, its all you need

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6091
  • a mate of mine has retrofited his with a mount of an old hope light, the same as this i think http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23533 so that would work.
  • tincaman wrote:
    Single bracket still available, its all you need

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6091

Single one also discontinued, take a look on the right hand side of the add to basket items, the main one pictured is no longer available :s
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They're both showing as in stock for me.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    They're both showing as in stock for me.

Theres "3 different models" of bracket on that link, view the images and you'll see the model numbers listed on the right hand side of the image, the main one with model numbers : EHP300/305/310/315/320/330 is not even listed as an option on buy buttons.

I've emailed Electron and they confirm that both the single and the double bracket (On my first post link) of this type is no longer available, chainreaction need to remove the first image from that link as its very misleading, the other two brackets will not be suitable for the magicshine as they have fixed type light mountings :/
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That's a shame, that was a really neat fit. You could easily set up something similiar with other mounts (my P7 torch attaches to the bar with what I think is a Cateye bracket and a jubilee clip)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • If either of mine break this is what i would buy, pricey i know but i've seen this bracket and it would work a treat http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=22858
  • mozzy10
    mozzy10 Posts: 179
    I'm looking at a replacement for my magicshine type mount. Now the original bodge brackets have been discontinued does anyone have any other suggestions? Does the hope bracket linked bellow work at all?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23533

Or are there any cheaper options?
    It\'s not your aptitude but your attitude that determins your altitude
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Try these

the bottom part of the mount in magic shine unscrews.
  • I fell foul of this change in bracket type when I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago, it was probably me that drew it to the attention of CRC. Instead of what you've pictured as a single bracket they sent me this|:

IMG-20111004-00361.jpg

It took a bit of work, but it's quite possible to mount it to a magicshine light, here it is on my 816...

If anyone needs more pics or detailed instructions please let me know. The bracket is rock solid now.

IMG-20111005-00362.jpg
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL 29er HERE
  • mozzy10
    how does that clamp screw in to the bottom? Is the thumb screw that tighten the bracket also connecting the bracket to the light? I want to be able to remove the light from my bars regularly as I often change bikes which is why I wanted a quick release system.
  • mozzy10 wrote:
    how does that clamp screw in to the bottom? Is the thumb screw that tighten the bracket also connecting the bracket to the light? I want to be able to remove the light from my bars regularly as I often change bikes which is why I wanted a quick release system.

Yes, the QR screw clamps the bracket to the bars and the lamp all in one. It's a bit hard to explain, I can take some pictures tomorrow if you like?

It's still QR, but if you want to swap one light between bikes then you'll have to move the bracket too. It's no big problem in my experience.
  • mozzy10
    Pictures would be good. Removing the whole thing is not an issue at all, in fact it's preferable.

Thanks for the link to hose clamps DIY. However, like I said I want to be able to move the light between bikes without much fuss so some sort of thumb screw to attach would be ideal.
  • Will get you some pics tomorrow mozzy, once I figured out how to do it it was very straightforward.
  • I've not forgotten this, I've taken some pics but due to the BlackBerry server problems I can't email them at the moment :oops:
  • Right, it's a bit hard to explain what I did but hopefully it will be evident from the pics.

You'll need a longer bolt for the QR, I'm not sure of sizes but luckily I had one. By using a couple of nuts and winding them all the way up the bolt you can imitate the effect of a captured bolt in the knurled bit.

Misc008.jpg

This is the removable top from the Electron bracket. This part is screwed to the base of the Lamp, and the captured nut you can see is what the QR bolt screws into:

Misc015.jpg

This bracket can then be bolted permanently to the lamp like so:

Misc009.jpg

When you offer the bracket up to this base you'll see what needs to be done, basically you need to countersink a hole in the plastic for the bolt head holding the lamp on to sit in to allow the two parts to sit flush:

Misc011.jpg

Misc010.jpg

You also need to file down the rear of the bracket to allow space for the cable exiting the lamp to sit.

Misc012.jpg

It may sound complicated, but it isn't! For £2 I have a rock solid light mount which is easily removable. If you need any help ask away.
  • mozzy10
    thanks, looks easy enough.