tire clipping/bottoming out

snik
snik Posts: 37
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
So after a while of searching for a new bike, i decided entry level full suss would do more than enough for me, so i went with a specialized camber comp FS. its a great bike, but i have a problem now.

im finding my pedals are hitting the groud pretty offen, sometimes on corner, other's just from bottoming seemingly. Im sure some of it is down to sloppy riding on my part, but are SPD's a way to sort this? or is there something else i could do to help reduce it?

thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you got the right Sag setting?

dont pedal round corners where you would clip a pedal.

when landing have your cranks parallel to the ground.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sometimes you will just be clipping rocks, stumps or uneven ground.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snik
    what should my max sag be? ive checked and most say 25% for trails. im 15 stone, and my pressure it set to about 150. seems to be much better, but a little too soft still.

i guess the pedal issue is just me not being a great rider, and making rookie mistakes. thanks for the help guys
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Time is all you need. As Nick says ^, you just have to / will learn when to and not to pedal. My Stereo is very low and I was bottoming out 10x plus per ride. Now I never have a pedal strike.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Sounds like a technique problem.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    snik

You've bought a Spec, which always have low BBs. There's benefits and drawbacks to this, but most importantly you need to change your technique to suit the new ride.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • moster
    moster Posts: 121
    I have the Camber too and had this the first couple of times out - as said you will get used to the low BB once you adjust your technique to suit.
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.
  • snik
    yep, i was much better on my ride yesterday then previously. but it is just a case of being a better rider, its funny people said Full suss makes you sloppy, but if anything i have to focus more now.

[Admin] Buying question removed. Ask in the Buying section.[/Admin]
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    i have a simular bike of same make and im not sure if they just ride quite low to the ground as have simular issues yet other bikes like giant ect dont seem to have this problem i guess it could be sorted by tuning suspension and settings maybe shorter crank arms also?
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build