How to do a sportive on the cheap.

Butterd2
Butterd2 Posts: 937
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Looking for a new training ride before my Alps trip this year, I downloaded the "Hell of Ashdown" route map and loaded it into the Garmin. Then rode to Biggin Hill for the start met a couple of mates and set off.
Great ride despite the rain then as we rode up Kidds Hill (The Wall) we noticed a number of riders going the other way on what looked like a Wiggle sportive. At the top of the hill we stopped at the car park for a breather and noticed a "High5" tent, so not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth took the opportunity to refill drinks and grab a flapjack. (got a few odd looks as we then set off in the wrong direction!)
When we finally made it back to Biggin Hill I even managed to blag a lift home. If it wasn't for the fact I guessed wrongly that we would get rained on 6 times (it was only 4) so had to buy the first round it would a been free day out.
80 miles and 6800ft of climbing - a good workout.
Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Butterd2 wrote:
    Looking for a new training ride before my Alps trip this year, I downloaded the "Hell of Ashdown" route map and loaded it into the Garmin. Then rode to Biggin Hill for the start met a couple of mates and set off.
    Great ride despite the rain then as we rode up Kidds Hill (The Wall) we noticed a number of riders going the other way on what looked like a Wiggle sportive. At the top of the hill we stopped at the car park for a breather and noticed a "High5" tent, so not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth took the opportunity to refill drinks and grab a flapjack. (got a few odd looks as we then set off in the wrong direction!)
    When we finally made it back to Biggin Hill I even managed to blag a lift home. If it wasn't for the fact I guessed wrongly that we would get rained on 6 times (it was only 4) so had to buy the first round it would a been free day out.
    80 miles and 6800ft of climbing - a good workout.

/subscribes
  • Evitrops? Is this a new discipline? :wink:
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Evitrops? Is this a new discipline? :wink:

Very cryptic!
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I did Kidds Hill back in March. It definitely is a Wall. On the same sportive they had Cob Lane. While significantly shorter this made the Wall look like The Slope. Average of 20%, max of 33%.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Downloading a Sportive route and then following it on your own on a different date seems like a good idea, especially if you don't know the area.

Helping yourself to free food and energy drinks is a bit out of order, imho...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:

Helping yourself to free food and energy drinks is a bit out of order, imho...

But kinda funny :D:D