Monarch RT3 Rear Shock-Blue Lever

leaflite
leaflite Posts: 1,651
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive just been fiddling around with the suspension on the titus and noticed that the blue lever on the rear shock doesnt work as expected. I thought that it was like the compression damping on the forks-ie fully one way="lockout". However, on the rear shock, turning this lever (3 position) doesnt seem to have a noticable impact on sag, amount of suspension movement etc. Is it broken, or does it do something different to what I thought it did?

Thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is a lockout lever, with 3 positions of floodgate ie bypass. With some bikes and pressures and tunes the effects are subtle - if you feel you want a firmer threshold I'd send it away to be tuned.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    RT3 has 3 settings for the flood gate, open it gives the most compliance (small bump / unrestricted movement) middle (intermediate compliance) closed (minimal compliance) this is designed to aid efficiency, e.g. you don't want loads of pedal bob whist climbing up a road hill so set the flood gate to the closed setting- going down a rocky decent floodgate fully open to give plushest ride.

That’s how my RT3 works any how.
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    J L wrote:
    RT3 has 3 settings for the flood gate, open it gives the most compliance (small bump / unrestricted movement) middle (intermediate compliance) closed (minimal compliance) this is designed to aid efficiency, e.g. you don't want loads of pedal bob whist climbing up a road hill so set the flood gate to the closed setting- going down a rocky decent floodgate fully open to give plushest ride.

Do you get different amounts of sag with each of the settings?

Thanks
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    leaflite wrote:
    J L wrote:

Do you get different amounts of sag with each of the settings?

Thanks

No it just reacts differently, sag is determined by the amount of air pressure you put in the can.
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Indeed, air pressure for sag, Floodgate is a shimmed damper.

Though you should set sag when it is in the most compliant setting.