Unicycles

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Couldn't find the old.thread.

How're you gettin' on JZ? I'm 3 hours in the saddle and riding about 10ft before crashing.

Self imposed 14th August deadline to crack this. :D
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• SimonAH
    Forgot to mention BTW I have discovered the signature UC move. With a fixie it's the dismiunt, with a UC it's hanging it on the bar nonchalantly and fending off the chicks.

Chicks dig unicycles.

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Haven't really had much time to practice - need to find somewhere secluded so i don't lo like an idiot. First attempt - shinned. Second attempt - nearly put the unicycle through my front door.
  • SimonAH
    I have the solution to the looking like an idiot thing. "Yes I do look like a Dick, but soon I'll look like a Dick that knows how to ride a unicycle, whereas you will still be a cnut".

Worked twice today. Helps if you're biggish though :D

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Is the 14th the deadline so you can decide whether to ride it in the London-Surrey Classic?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    chaps, I've missed the original thread. Having just resurrected my 'UC' can you give me some tips for moving on from the Just Falling Off And Hurting Wrists / Ankles / Arse stage to something more worthy? I might try and erect some parallel bars to give me support for example.
  • SimonAH
    Asprilla, I'm there dude. Haha, not! No, it's to p1ss off my slightly younger and far wealthier brother who got into cycling before I did and was sneeringly dismissing of my slicked MTB BSO. Meeting him on holiday in Bermuda.

:Mr Si,

Loads of good stuff on the net, but what's working for.me is sitting and rocking a LOT then baby stepping with a handy railing. Rocking gets your balance in. The mental crutch is that it's typically 15 hours of saddle time to ride - I figure that beating the curve is the challenge and the measure of success.

• At Uni, I once saw someone on a unicycle with a set of ski poles in their hands as they learned. I never saw them after that so not sure how kosher a training method it is...

You're taking the unicycle to Bermuda?! :shock:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Yes but can any of you fart whilst unicycling?
  • SimonAH wrote:
    but what's working for.me is sitting and rocking a LOT then baby stepping with a handy railing. Rocking gets your balance in.

Out of interest, is that rocking with feet at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock (as seems most natural to me) or at 12 & 6 o'clock as web video tutorials suggest? And do you practicing lef tand right footed too?
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Any plans for penny farthing commuting, it would be great, although I'm not sure how you could stop at a traffic light and remain in the saddle... :?
  • SimonAH
    Hi Jim, rocking at six and twelve using the lower foot to power the rock, do this a hundred or so times and then swap to the other foot. It sort of 'centers' you on the UC.

Moonio, this is the dream! I intend to do my commute (just once) on the UC - at which point I can put it away in the garage with the knowledge that "I can ride a unicycle" and have nothing left to prove. I would have thought that, what with PFings being essentially a UC with a stabiliser it should be even easier to balance stationary? No doubt someone here will correct me.

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    JZed wrote:
    Haven't really had much time to practice - need to find somewhere secluded so i don't lo like an idiot. First attempt - shinned. Second attempt - nearly put the unicycle through my front door.

Morpeth?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    moonio wrote:
    Any plans for penny farthing commuting, it would be great, although I'm not sure how you could stop at a traffic light and remain in the saddle... :?

Track stand of course - pennyfarthings are fixies :)
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Yes I guess thats how these guys did it
    http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//RTV/ ... TV1653511/

they cycled on Penny Farthings from Paris to London :)
  • But surely, Penny Farthings are not legal tender in the Eurozone?