Gearing on a Boardman Pro FS

marcel147
marcel147 Posts: 63
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have the above bike & would like a little advice on what to do as I am not too clued up in the options available to me.

My problem is that I can't obtain a fast enough downhill speed. The hardest gear is just too easy. The easiest gearing overall is just way too easy to even contemplate using as it a wheelie every pedal almost.

Please would some of you kind folk suggest the best solution.

Regards
Marcel.

2009 Boardman Pro FS

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which crankset has it got?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    And where do you ride?
  • nicklouse wrote:
    I think it has the Truvitov GXP Stylo from the writing on the crank.

I ride canal towpath mostly but also some nice fast downhill of about 3 miles on rough track by reservoirs and a little road.

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your cadence when at top speed?
  • nicklouse
    marcel147 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

I ride canal towpath mostly but also some nice fast downhill of about 3 miles on rough track by reservoirs and a little road.

how many teeth are on the big ring?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic wrote:
    What is your cadence when at top speed?
    Peddling like a mad man and getting overtaken by an older, less fit mate peddling reasonably quick obviously but not going for it

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • nicklouse wrote:
    marcel147 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

how many teeth are on the big ring?

44 teeth on big ring

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • supersonic
    Well pedalling at 120 rpm with 44t crank and 11t cog:

Gear = 4:1

Wheel circum = 26x3.14= 81.6 inch.

So every crank rev you are moving 4 x 81.6 = 326 inches.

Times by 120: 40000 inches per min

2,400,000 inches per hour

= 38mph!

That is pretty fast you are going! Many spin out at faster than that.
  • Yes Sonic, 38mph is reasonable. But why, when the lowest gearing is only going to be useful on a hill so steep that your going to fall off the rear end is it there at all?

And so, can I rid myself of those gears never used and have more on the top end without too big a jump from where I am now?

2009 Boardman Pro FS
  • nicklouse
    hang on you live in Huddersfield and you want to lose the low gears!

Sounds like you should have bought a road bike.

you could fit a 11-25 cassette which would raise the lower gears but will not raise your top gear. for that you will need to change the crank rings.
  • supersonic
    Because some people don't fall off the back and find them very useful! I use my 22/34 gear all the time. This is why they are specced on MTBs, a wide range for a wide range of terrain.

However, if you don't need these gears, fit a closer ratio cassette ie an 11-23 or 11-25 roadie style. This will not give you a higher gear, but will give you closer range and rid of the lower ones.

If you need higher gears, consider a 48/38/28 chainset.

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product_5060.htm

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... roducts-UK
  • Clear answer = ride it off road. :D
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    marcel147 wrote:
    Yes Sonic, 38mph is reasonable. But why, when the lowest gearing is only going to be useful on a hill so steep that your going to fall off the rear end is it there at all?

Because that's what you do when you're mountain biking, which is what your bike was designed for.