Are these any good ?

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
My friend just text me, knowing Im building a SS and asked me if this was anygood

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... 194wt_1195

Frankly, I have no idea, so, I said I'd ask around for him.

If you peeps think this is no good, then is there anything better at the same price point ?

Thanks

Gaz
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    It gives no idea what the components are which leads me to believe they a probably poor.

Your mate would pick up a decent fixed gear bike on LFGSS second hand for less than that.
  • Chadders81 wrote:
    It gives no idea what the components are which leads me to believe they a probably poor.

Your mate would pick up a decent fixed gear bike on LFGSS second hand for less than that.
    If you scroll down... Dotek and Promax are Chinese brandswith moderate reputation, rest are own-brand/no-name (almost all Chinese) parts, so average quality. Probably OK for the price but nothing special. Not going to be the lightest of SS

FRAME: Hi-tensile tubing, with Urban single speed geometry.
    FORK: 700 C Hi tensile fork with straight blades.
    GEARS: Single speed with 16t fixed cog and 18t Freewheel and KMC Z510 chain.
    CHAINSET: Dotek PR08-450, 44 Twith alloy cranks and a cartridge BB set.
    WHEELS: Viking 700c Silver Double wall alloy rims, with Joytech alloy 36 hole hubs, Flip Flop rear hub.
    TYRES: Kenda 700 x 23c Black
    BRAKES: Promax alloy Dual Pivot side pull brakes, with Promax alloy BL-250 Road levers.
    STEERING: Promax HB-2035 440mm Road handlebars and alloy ahead stem.
    SADDLE: Sports trekking saddle, with an alloy micro adjust seat post.
    FEATURES: Alloy pedals
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Just no stickering it up and selling it as a Bob Jackson
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Of course ti's no good, it hasn't got any gears.
  • dhope
    Of course ti's no good, it hasn't got any gears.

Really? I count 1 :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its all in the frame really, 'hi-tensile' is menaingless and it could weigh the same as half of Sheffields annual output or be quite light.....

Maybe you could get a weight out the seller, that is as good an indication of it's value for money as any!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Not with a shitty bargepole.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Contact Rutland Cycling direct. They're a reputable retailer with several stores around Rutland. However, for £170 its not going to be great, is it? Style vs. substance I'm afraid.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    I looked at a few Vikings (albeit geared) and decided that my legs would need the muscular equivalent of a mortgage to cope with the weight. My old Raleigh Banana was hi-tensile. Took two of us to lift it.

Also, I suspect that the Kenda tyres are the same as the ones on my Carrera. Ready for replacements (front and back) in under than 500 fair-weathered miles.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • dhope wrote:

Fair enough. So, to rephrase, of course it's not, it only has one gear.
  • dhope
    dhope wrote:

Fair enough. So, to rephrase, of course it's not, it only has one gear.

Best number of gears to have on a £170 bike though, otherwise you may as well throw full sus onto it and put if firmly into BSO rather than just crap SS territory
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo