Advice: Difference between £250 and £350 bikes?

mikey2424
mikey2424 Posts: 12
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Hi

I've just sold my car and am going to start cycling to work.

I've been looking at various bikes with a maximum budget for the bike of £350.

I'd of course like to spend less.

I don't have a clue about bikes so some advice will be much appreciated. Of course, when I get into cycling a bit more I hope to be back offering others advice on the back of my experiences.

The first bike recommended to me in a shop was the Specialized Sirrus 2011 at £350.

At the time that was over the budget I'd set myself but was advised to not spend any less than that on a bike I'd be using daily.

Was that sound advice?

Will I notice a huge difference if I saved a bit of cash and went for the Giant Escape 4 at £235?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-es ... 58926.html

Are there other bikes around the £250 mark that can go against the Sirrus?

Thanks

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    At that price bracket it may be worth cconsidering 2nd hand - have a look at gumtree and ebay...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Have a look at Haflords, they have some good hybrids in your price range. I've just got a Carrera Gryphon using the discount code NUSJUL11. Great bike but the customer service was pants so I would build it your self or pay for your LBS to build it for you.
  • Cheers for the reply. I've been trawling through eBay and just joined GumTree but can't much at the moment. Most things are pick up only so you only have your immediate area to go at. There's a Boardman Comp Hybrid 2010 at £240 - decent machine?

Should I be worried about it only having 18 gears and does that seem odd for a £500 bike?

Manufacturer Boardman
    Type Hybrid / Town
    Gender/Age Men
    Production years 2010
    RRP £499.99

Colours Black
    Frame type Rigid
    Frame material Aluminium
    Frame description Lightweight fully double butted aluminium
    Gears 18
    Wheel Size 700 c

BRAKING
    Brakeset Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes, 160mm rotors
    DRIVE
    Bottom Bracket Truvativ PowerSpline
    Cassette (Rear Cogs) SRAM PG950 11-32T
    Chain Shimano HG-73
    Crank Truvativ Touro compact 50x36T
    Pedals Alloy body, steel cage, toe clips & straps
    GEARING
    Derailleur Front Shimano R440
    Derailleur Rear SRAM X5
    Gears 18
    Shifter(s) SRAM X5 9 speed
    GENERAL
    Bar Ends Ritchey Comp
    Handlebar Ritchey Flat OS 31.8mm
    Headset Semi integrated cartridge bearing
    Headset Spacers Full carbon 4x5mm, 1x10mm
    Rigid Forks Lightweight aluminium
    Saddle cboardman, Cro-Mo rails
    Seat Post Ritchey 27.2mm
    Stem Ritchey OS 31.8mm
    Weight 23.8 lbs
    WHEELS
    Hubs Sealed bearings
    Rims Lightweight disc specific
    Spokes Stainless steel double butted black
    Tyres (Front & Back) Maxxis Detonator 700x28c (these are included in sale, bike is fitted with Michelin City tyres as per photos)
    Wheel Size 700 c
  • mikey2424 wrote:
    Cheers for the reply. I've been trawling through eBay and just joined GumTree but can't much at the moment. Most things are pick up only so you only have your immediate area to go at. There's a Boardman Comp Hybrid 2010 at £240 - decent machine?

Should I be worried about it only having 18 gears and does that seem odd for a £500 bike?
    Boardman's are quite well thought of (reviews) and that would do well as a first bike if its the right size for you. Size is important, you need to try a few to be sure you have the right fit. 18 gears just means that its got a 9-speed cassette on the back and a double (or in this case a compact) chainset on the front.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Agreed - A used bike at this price level would be the way to go. A Boardman in decent condition would be a great first bike. 18 speed is plenty.

If you are buying new remember the total cost includes fixed element (transport, packing, marketing, labour etc.) which are similar for many bikes, then the variable element which covers the quality of components used. At the cheaper end of the spectrum therefore the fixed cost is a higher proportion of the total cost but spending a bit more is likely to result is worthwhile quality improvements.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This is an excellent value first commuter bike.......
    http://www.cycleschemedirect.co.uk/cata ... m='Halcyon Yukon 8 Speed Nexus Town & Towpath Bike' (copy and paste the software doesn't like the speech marks)
    Being hub brake and gears its minimal maintenance and long lasting kit.

Don't get hung up on the number of gears, its a fairly meaningless selling feature, my commuter is 9 speed, and until I changed the ratios to a closer range set I only used 7 of them.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.