Upgrade advice?

HJT5
HJT5 Posts: 3
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey everyone.....new here.. I have a 6 year old Apollo Unleashed. Despite my reservations,it's proved to be unburstable. Covered 1250 miles in the last year without fault. To be fair,I did strip and rebuild it as I don't trust Halfrauds. I true the wheels every couple of hundred miles and clean and lube the gearing......that's it. My problem is that it's undergeared. It spins out at about 25mph but it is capable of much more. Anyone recommend a good cheap rear gear? It is currently 48 with 13 rear. Works out at around 96ins per rev. Also the front suspension is too stiff.....can this be adjusted? Thanks in advance......

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sorry not possible.

sounds like you have a spin on Freewheel the smallest cog on those is 13T
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • HJT5
    HJT5 Posts: 3
    Thank you for your reply...What in your opinion is the answer? Seems chainsets are small for these. Replace the wheels?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    use it as it or get a more suitable bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Larger wheels will not fit in the frame, large front cogs will not work with the deraillers properly, and smaller rear cogs cannot be got for this system. You could get a new cassette rear wheel, but again the hub may not fit in the frame - you need to measure the dropout width.

Shimano years ago did an 11-28 Freewheel, but are none left.

You shouldn't be spinning out at 25mph though. Simple maths, and a 120 RPM of the cranks gives a speed of 34mph. You can only be pedalling at 80 or 90, which is pretty average!