Any Germans in here? What's this race all about?

craker
craker Posts: 1,739
http://www.bergradrennen.de/

My brother sent me this link as I'll be visiting him in Dresden at this time. He can lend me a steel road bike;what would I be letting myself infor? And what's the course like (tarmac I presume) and is it far from Dresden?

Cheers !

Comments

• Berg is mountain so it could be a bit hilly!
  • It looks like some kind of full on mountain bike race round a circuit.

http://www.kopfjaeger-sports.com/news/1 ... ennen.html

berg rad rennen = mountain bike race. good luck, you've deffo got to report back how it went.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Hmm from what I had gathered it was maybe not a MTB race. How can Google translate be wrong? :shock:
    Bicycle and accessories
    Admitted are all technically perfect two-wheeled bicycles. Road tires for mountain bikes are recommended. The following bikes or, bicycles with the following items are excluded from the start for safety reasons:
    Tandems
    Lounger and chair wheels
    Hand Bikes
    - Any kind of trailers
    - Triadlon and Time Trial Bars
    - All types of handlebar attachments
    (Not for bar-ends)

So it seems like armchairs are out.
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    ... but there is a free massage after the race :lol:
    Powered by Haribo.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    mr_si wrote:
    Hmm from what I had gathered it was maybe not a MTB race. How can Google translate be wrong? :shock:
    Bicycle and accessories
    Admitted are all technically perfect two-wheeled bicycles. Road tires for mountain bikes are recommended. The following bikes or, bicycles with the following items are excluded from the start for safety reasons:
    Tandems
    Lounger and chair wheels
    Hand Bikes
    - Any kind of trailers
    (Not for bar-ends)

you need a better translator recumbent would be better? :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mr_si wrote:
    Bicycle and accessories
    Tandems
    Lounger and chair wheels
    Hand Bikes
    - Any kind of trailers
    (Not for bar-ends)

its the weirdness of german grammar (time, manner, place)....it's a bike race round/near a mountain not an mtb race
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited August 2011
    The website isn't too informative but it's a 'jedermanrennen' type of race, literally an 'everyonerace' or all-comers race. 'Rennen' is race, and the categories ('elite', etc) and results section suggest it really is a race, but one open to everyone rather than just race licence holders. It's on a 7.1 km circuit with 215 meters of climbing each lap (that's pretty hilly!). 'Elite men' do 7 laps (49 km), 'recreational riders that want to try a race but are unsure about the other categories' 2 laps only.
    The circuit is closed off for traffic.
    It's hard to make out from the website whether it is some kind of short sportive on a closed hilly circuit or more like a proper race BC-style, open to those without a licence. The suggestion you can do it on a mountainbike with road tyres suggests it won't be too fast, but who knows.
    Perhaps others know whether those 'jedermanrennen' are an established type of event in Germany?

PS. A mountainbike in German is....... 'ein Mountainbike'
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    It's a road bike race on a hilly 7.1 km course. The number of laps you do depends on your age, with the elite men doing 7 laps.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    mr_si wrote:
    http://www.bergradrennen.de/
    My brother sent me this link as I'll be visiting him in Dresden at this time. He can lend me a steel road bike;what would I be letting myself infor? And what's the course like (tarmac I presume) and is it far from Dresden?
    Cheers !
    Wehlen is about 25 km SE of Dresden and the race is part of a series of three small cyclosportives in that locality, one of which took place in June and the second is this coming weekend.
    It is a sportive of the continental type (i.e. mass-start), but the best riders will probably be as competitive and as fast as in a race only for licenced riders. Although only 30-odd are so far registered, the eventual turn-out of adult males will probably be 80-odd, spread throughout the different categories.

As other posters have said, ‘Berg’ here refers to the course being hilly. (A mountain bike race would normally be called a MTB, Mountainbike- or Bike- Rennen or Marathon)
    Last year the better riders were taking on average under 9 mins for the 7.1 km circuit, and the slowest over 13 mins. However, it seems compared to last year that the circuit has changed a little (last year it only had 150 m climbing in the same circuit length). The maximum slope on the circuit is apparently 14%.

The oldest competing rider last year was supposedly born in 1919 and did 6 rounds (= 42.6 km) in 1-17-33, but I really wonder if they printed his year-of-birth wrong in the results. Although on the other hand, I hope not, and so, Chapeau!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    FJS wrote:
    Perhaps others know whether those 'jedermanrennen' are an established type of event in Germany?
    Jedermannrennen have become established over the last 10 or so years. Before then, and in fact still today, events similar to UK sportives (signed route, feed stops, no mass start) have been very popular. There are literally hundreds of these, over 900 each year, but (unlike UK sportives) these have no times taken. So gradually Jedermannrennen (with timing and mass starts) have entered the scene, some around circuits, usually longer than at Wehlen, may 20 km (so 3 and 5 laps), others like French cyclosportives, i.e. covering large routes, maybe 120 and 180 km.

The BDR (national cycling association) has about 20-25 races (of its total 550 road races per year) open to non-licenced riders, so these are Jedermannrennen. One such is on 1st May along much of the route the profis cover later that day, riding out and back from Frankfurt. It’s the same I think later this month, riding in advance of the profis race at Hamburg, along much of their route. The results sometimes have separate listings (and prizes) for licenced and non-licenced riders, as well as perhaps differentiation by age categories. Or licenced riders start separately and cover a slightly different route.

There are also probably as many Jedermannrennen not under the auspices of the BDR (so another 20-25 races) and in the results, they too may have separate categories for licenced and non-licenced riders, but not always. The race at Wehlen appears one of these.