Cycling in Gran Caneria ?

3Pears
3Pears Posts: 174
Hi All

Has anyone hired a road bike in Gran Caneria and can kindly pass on any good / bad experiences :?:

I'm looking at 'Free Motion' and 'Cycle Gran Caneria' as possible cycle hire companies 8)

Thanx in advance

Comments

• Hi,

I've been going to GC for the last 4-5 years , and always use Free Motion.

GC is a great place to ride, the roads are well surfaced and quiet(unlike Tenerife) , its the driest of the Canary islands due to its location ,the warmest, and the least windy(unlike Lanzarote).

They have the full range of Cannondales and they are in immaculate condition.After the days ride, you can leave your bike at the shop , where it will be cleaned ready for the next day , or ride it back to your hotel. The Tour Guides are very good ( matheus is a marco pantani look a like...and climbs like him!)

Would thoroughly recommend joining the tours....especially friday and saturdays as these go up to the top of the island.

Lots of the pro's use GC for winter training...last year the tour group was passed by a fellow in a replica Saxo Swiss Nat Champ jersey...only it wasn't a replica.It was Cancellara himself!...we managed to jump on his wheel for a couple of miles , then he was gone .
    If you're going in Jan - apr for pre season , you'll need to reserve your bike early (october at very latest) as that is peak season for them .I missed out last march as i left it till december to book, but you can get bikes from a shop in the Faro 2 centre in Maspolamas when you arrive on the island...they're cheaper but not quite so well maintained.

For winter training , i wouldn't go anywhere else !...all you need there is arm warmers and a gillet for the downhills....thats it !!

Hope that helps.
  • 3Pears
    Thanx thats fantastic info, I'll give them a try :D
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    We did a spring training camp on Gran Canaria last year, self organized (and taking bikes in plane). It's an incredibly beautiful island, great for cycling, with as Thomas says great tarmac on most roads. It's mountainous, and pretty much impossible to avoid a good deal of climbing, but the scenery is amazing, especially in the interior, westcoast and north. Most people tend to stay in Maspalomas/Playa des Ingles and that's where the bike rental companies are because it's were the tourist beach resorts are, but we found it the least appealing part of the island for cycling, overbuilt and overcrowded, windswept and with busy main roads that you often can't avoid. Get away from the South coast as much as possible
  • 3Pears
    Thanx FJS

Going next Monday on Family holiday, intending to grab a couple of days on a bike heading inland to the hills 8)