The reason I love audaxes

AndyRubio
AndyRubio Posts: 880
Just gonna leave this right here.

bTyOol.jpg

Comments

• ermintrude
    ermintrude Posts: 514
    Brilliant ! No wonder they don't talk to each other. Have to say though Arrive is a really good magazine
  • I'm sure i saw that guy in the middle (or as I call him dad), either on a link on here or on tele, it was old footage and he'd just completed his 24th hundred mile TT. Can't think where I saw it though.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Arrivee is a great magazine, I never chuck my old copies out. It makes me want to do things.

It's anti-Rapha too.
  • wheelygood
    wheelygood Posts: 101
    The chap in the centre is a very well known Audax and Rough Stuff chap. He also competed in the 24hr race recently. Amazing places he gets his bike to! A real character.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I'm sure i saw that guy in the middle (or as I call him dad), either on a link on here or on tele, it was old footage and he'd just completed his 24th hundred mile TT. Can't think where I saw it though.

Yes, that's right. The tandem stoker is the legendary George Berwick.

I only met him once on an audax. It was a 400km in Devon. It was (debateably) the toughest 400km ever. I took 24 hours to finish and George came in after me. Mind you, he is about 70 yrs young.
  • Couldn't agree more : Audaxes are brilliant :

Did the 200 kms Wilton to West Bay on Sunday and what a glorious route. Raced down to Bridport and a very tough return leg over what seemed like endless hills back to the final control but a corking day out despite a high speed blowout on one descent which was a tad scary!!

Will be back next year and would thoroughly recommend it!!
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    The Tandem Pair of Phil Jurczyx and George Berwick managed over 340 miles on the Mersey 24 hour time trial last month, not bad for a 66 and 70 year old.

The photo on the cover of Arrivee was taken on their first tandem ride together in April which was a 300km audax with 4600m of climbing - a ride that no one had ever completed on a tandem. They are the type of pensioners that I'd like to be :)

Here's a picture of George wearing a bread bag on his head to ward off the rain:

DurnessDuress005.jpg
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Just been googling George Berwick, the guys a freaking legend/nutter* (delete as appropriate)
    Here's an article about him from fifteen years ago, God only knows where the last 15 years has taken him.

sdoc4736.jpg
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • thecrofter wrote:
    Just been googling George Berwick, the guys a freaking legend/nutter* (delete as appropriate)
    Here's an article about him from fifteen years ago, God only knows where the last 15 years has taken him.

What a fantastic read. Like everyone else on this thread, I was rather curious about this bedragled rider shown on a tandem. Now I know.

So to all the Pinarello riding dentists, put that in your pipe and smoke it.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Quite a few of these characters in Audaxing. Steve Abram is another. But the amount of miles they rack up is extraordinary - mind you they are often single and spend all their time doing audaxes
    M.Rushton
  • bhoyjim
    bhoyjim Posts: 15
    AndyRubio wrote:
    Just gonna leave this right here.

bTyOol.jpg

I was on this Audax also with the the guy at the rear in the red top, sadly both of us DNF, me with a very sore neck and him with a mechanical after 148k. this is my first season Audaxing and i love it, the only thing is there's not enough of them here in the west coast as most of them are east coast based and as i don't drive it makes it very hard to get to them.
  • Cleat: I reckon you might have seen this chap on bigringriding as I did the other day. After the Mersey Road 24 event.

http://www.bigringriding.com/post/80839 ... e?0b4426f0

George sounds like a legend.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    AndyRubio wrote:

It's anti-Rapha too.

Somewhat surprising as Rapha wrote a great piece about a 600m qualifier for PBP that they rode. A lot of the audaxers over on YACF thought it captured the whole spirit of audax. Rapha also have a film on their website of the MersayRoads 24 hour which uses footage shot by Damon Peacock, a regular PBP rider
    M.Rushton