Disc Rotor Change 180mm to 160mm

MartinGT
MartinGT Posts: 475
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought some new Disc Rotors for my MTB.

My existing discs are 180mm front and 160mm rear. I have bought 2No 160mm rotors. The rear, obviously no problems at all, just change rotor for rotor. The front however this is where I am stuck.

I have post mount brakes. Do I need to change the adaptor on the caliper? I assume the caliper is for 180mm?

Is this the correct mount I need or is this just a conversion from PM to IS? TIA.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I may be, it may not be?

what is the fork? what are the fork mounts?

what are the brakes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MartinGT
    Hayes Stroker Ryde are the brakes and the fork is a Manitou Minute.

As mentioned above its Post Mount.
  • kja
    kja Posts: 259
    Hi, if the forks are post mount all you will need to do is remove the 180mm adaptor and bolt the calliper directly to the fork. If the forks are IS you will need the adaptor you have linked to.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MartinGT wrote:
    I bought some new Disc Rotors for my MTB.

My existing discs are 180mm front and 160mm rear. I have bought 2No 160mm rotors. The rear, obviously no problems at all, just change rotor for rotor. The front however this is where I am stuck.

I have post mount brakes. Do I need to change the adaptor on the caliper? I assume the caliper is for 180mm?

Is this the correct mount I need or is this just a conversion from PM to IS? TIA.
    MartinGT wrote:
    Hayes Stroker Ryde are the brakes and the fork is a Manitou Minute.

As mentioned above its Post Mount.
    where? I can not see them mentioned. as there is more than one post mount standard.

the brake just bolts directly to the fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MartinGT
    I didnt mention the make of fork or brake, I mentioned it was a post mount though.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.
  • MartinGT
    Just for peoples info in case it is any use.

I have just taken the 180mm spacer off and refitted using some shorter (6") bolts.