Saint brake help

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, ive just recently purchased a set of M810 saints, ive got a few questions regarding them if anyone can help answer, also i have fitted the front and lever nearly touches the bar.

DSC00889.jpg

1)Does anyone have good advice on seting these brakes up? my lever pulls to the bar so i was thinking its needing bled but there is also another function i thought could be causing it, an adjustment screw that determins the contact point of pad to rotor, the screw is the"Free stroke adjustment". which is it more likely to be?

2) The Large yellow spacer is for bleeding the brakes, what are the other 2 smaller ones for?

3) The brass parts, i take it these are olives and inserts if i want to shorten hose length?

Ive read the manuals or sheets should i say and ive done some searches for info so if you could help that would be good.

cheers
scott

Comments

• If I remember correctly the other yellow spacers are for clamping the pipe in a vice,could be wrong.
    I spent ages bleeding my saints and they are still abit soft now,but do pull up nice and strong also make sure they are correctly aligned as this gives a soft lever as well.
  • most likely that you just need to take the wheel out and give them a few lever pulls back to the bar to close the pistons in a bit (the servo wave systems means they don't move lots if depressed with the wheel out). My rear saint was being a nightmare and that did the trick for me after bleeding it a few times thinking this was the problem!
    The yellow blocks are so you can put them either side of the hose and squeeze so you can push the hoses right into the fitting to ensure they don't leak

The 'free stroke adjustment' in short does Feck all! the lever reach (gold winders) affect the lever position to ensure they are wound out too, but saints do pull almost all the way back to the bars no matter what you do to them. It's one of their characteristics and you do get used to it :)
  • cheers for the advice guys, im not a fan of levers pulling all the way in, will give them a try and if i dont like them will just punt them on, pulling the lever right back gets in the way of my shifters
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you have nor read the manual?

set the pistons by working the lever. adjust the reach by adjusting the reach adjuster.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    sounds like you have nor read the manual?

set the pistons by working the lever. adjust the reach by adjusting the reach adjuster.

i read the whole lot. I worked the lever a few times, now thats its sat over night i'll work it some more see if that does the trick, heard a few people say that it can make a difference.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    SHorten the hose to right length using the insert and olive as you know. The pair of yellow blocks are for holding the hose so you can cut it without deforming.
    Bleed the brakes using the yellow bleed block, mine were too soft from new too, then set the pistons with the red spacer and top up up the lever if required. You should have a nice feel to the lever but Russ Tyson said the lever isn't a firm hard feel to it but don't think that it won't work as once the pads are bedded in it will bite enough to put you over the bars if you grab too much. Learn how to one finger brake, you really don't need anymore on the lever.
  • had a run out tonight with them, they have firmed up a bit but still got a lot of slack, i adjusted the frees stroke, this too has made the levers bite sooner than before but not much, the brakes bite nice enough and it feels good, i could just do with the levers biting sooner, yeah one finger braking is what ive got them set up for, its what i use. same with my v2's
  • believe me, they don't bite sooner :lol: you do get used to it though
  • believe me, they don't bite sooner :lol: you do get used to it though

yeah im starting to like them alot, just a bit strange at first, a few tweaks here and there and im sure i'll find the set up just right :)
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Set the deadband on them. Search deadband.

Deadband Deadband..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • Set the deadband on them. Search deadband.

Deadband Deadband..

am i to search deadband then?

:lol:
  • Set the deadband on them. Search deadband.

Deadband Deadband..

He will have done that if he's follwed the thread advice already
  • yup....free stroke