By not carrying tools or water I could save almost 4 1/2Lbs!

salsarider79
salsarider79 Posts: 828
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
Yesterday I got the kitchen scales out and weighted my tool kit and water bottle

My Tool Kit And Water Bottle Weights In At 1969grams!!!! :shock:

I have a spare tube, tire levers x2, multi tool, few chain links, split link, chain tool, Shreader/presta adapter, spoke key, 5 pound note, small lock, small rear light and house keys.

Quite a shock really.
jedster wrote:
Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.

Comments

• pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    The obvious thing to do is buy a set of Carbon Fibre tyre levers and get a set of house keys made out of titanium.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    I take as little as possible out on the trail, but I bolt things together properly and try not to crash

I give mates a row because they have a 3 ltr camelbak full and never drink it all, i take 500ml maybe double on hot days

the important thing to take is a waterproof as getting cold is the biggist risk either with a mechanical or a crash, in which case the fone would be usefull
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Lose the lock.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,609
    Desiccated water is obviously the way to go, as normal water weighs 1kg per litre. You can just rehydrate the water when you you need it.

And if you haven't shaved your legs, do so, as that'll probably save another 500g. Problem solved.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    lose the tire levers and get tyre levers instead theyre much lighter

also inflate your tyres with hydrogen
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    how often would you use a spoke key..
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    If you ride in a group, why not pool equipment? How many chain tools, tyre levers, pumps etc do you need?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    edited August 2011
    Mouth wrote:
    If you ride in a group, why not pool equipment? How many chain tools, tyre levers, pumps etc do you need?
    That sounds like a recipe for disaster:

"Who's got the pump?"
    "Dave."
    "Where's Dave?"
    "Spain." Etc.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,609
    balthazar wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    That sounds like a recipe for disaster
    Indeed. I've just weighed my toolkit (two inner tubes, puncture repair kit, multi-tool, chain link remover, spare link, tyre levers and £10 note) and mini pump, and it comes to 550g. Given that my own weight varies by a couple of kgs from day to day, knowing that I've got stuff on board that will get me out of everything bar severe mechanical failure at a weight penalty of the equivalent a pint of water is a small price to pay for the reassurance I need when riding solo over Dartmoor, miles from the nearest house.

If you really do want to save carrying weight, the water is the heaviest stuff, but unless you want to be stopping every 30 minutes, or risk running out of water entirely because you've only taken a 0.5 litre bottle, you've just got to get used to lugging the weight of the stuff around with you. The only time I let the weight of the water come into my calculations is when I'm on the homeward part of a journey and wondering whether I should refill both of my 800ml bottles.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    Yesterday I got the kitchen scales out and weighted my tool kit and water bottle

My Tool Kit And Water Bottle Weights In At 1969grams!!!! :shock:

I have a spare tube, tire levers x2, multi tool, few chain links, split link, chain tool, Shreader/presta adapter, spoke key, 5 pound note, small lock, small rear light and house keys.

Quite a shock really.

So a spare inner tube but no pump?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If I stopped drinking beer and eating pies I could lose multiple kgs.

It depends on how important that weight loss is to you.

Racing, you don't need the tools. Recreation, you don't need to lose the weight.
    Stop fretting and ride.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Yeah, if the OP stopped fretting it would be a real weight off his mind!
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Speaking of saving weight - do you really need two kidneys?
  • Best thing to do is only ride in a pair of Speedos in bare feet in the direction the wind is blowing, huge gains in perceived performance....Yeah, watching the Triathlon at the moment. Alistair Brownlee is 6cm taller than me and 62kg. I've got 25 kg more than him so a few grammes in the kit bag is not worth worrying about eh? :lol:
  • balthazar wrote:
    ["Who's got the pump?"
    "Dave."
    "Where's Dave?"
    "Spain." Etc.

Superb!!! :lol:
  • balthazar wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

"Who's got the pump?"
    "Dave."
    "Where's Dave?"
    "Spain." Etc.

Dave would be posting on here, as he's the average bike radar poster. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    balthazar wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

"Who's got the pump?"
    "Dave."
    "Where's Dave?"
    "Spain." Etc.

Yeh I see the idea here but if you ride regularly with the same few people, it isn't too hard to organise.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    balthazar wrote:
    Mouth wrote:

"Who's got the pump?"
    "Dave."
    "Where's Dave?"
    "Spain." Etc.

Dave would be posting on here, as he's the average bike radar poster. :lol:

See above. I did! :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Speaking of saving weight - do you really need two kidneys?

What weighs more- a kidney or £28,000?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I tried to save weight on yesterday's ride by forgetting my pump.

It felt way lighter but my average speed and mileage still suffered. Of course, the one time I forgot the pump, I punctured and only managed to get the tyre to 50psi with my one and only CO2 cartridge.
  • Have a really good dump pre ride and drain your bladder, think of the weight saving. ;)