buying vintage style chainguards

fredred10
fredred10 Posts: 7
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
hi,

i am currently doing up an old dutch bike, and at the moment it has a full chain guards made from plastic.

i would liek to find a new, partial chain guard, preferably made from metal, so i can powder coat it witht the rest of the bike, however i am really struggling. i especially like the look of the guards on the pashley poppy (http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/poppy-blush-pink.html), but cannot find anywhere to buy the chain guard individually.

my bike has 26inch wheels and a 46 tooth chain ring.

any advice on where to buy and what to buy would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance,

freddie

Comments

• That sounds like a tall order to me... you've probably already looked in vain for this part and you posted your query after you couldn't find one anywhere.

I suspect generic chainguards are simply not available. It would be too difficult to make one that was able to fit many different bikes / frames / chainset sizes / sprocket sizes. So I think you'll probably need to get a bespoke one made. You might find a panel beater, an agricultural engineer or a blacksmith is able to fabricate something for you.

The difficulty would not just be designing and building the guard itself. It would also be getting the fixings right, so it attaches nicely and stays where you want it.

Those full plastic chaincases can be fiddly to get off. Full ones can also restrict the chainset/sprocket sizes available to you because the chainline / cogs can easily foul against the inside of the guard if the spec is not chosen with thought. Going to a partial chaincase will mean you don't need to worry so much about that, but the trade off is that you might get a little more muck on your trousers!

Don't throw the plastic parts away -- they're probably not made anymore and someone somewhere might be very keen to buy them off you.

Good luck and let me know how you get on. I'm also into Dutch Bikes, I have two of them.
  • Hi, thanks for your advice. Am writing this from my phone, so I'm afraid that I'm not able to post any links. In the end I decided that I wanted a partial chain guard, as it would look less cumbersome (I've ended up removing the skirt guard as well, for the same reason). So had another look around for some partial guards. Eventually, I came across some custom made bikes made by a company called fast boy cycles, and they had the kind of guard I was looking for, so I emailed the guy there to ask him where he got them from. Turned out he made them himself, but he pointed me towards velo orange, who made exactly what I was looking for. Becuase I am in the UK it was a little hard to find someone that stocked velo orane stuff, but found a shop on ebay called practical cycles. Hope this is helpful to anyone looking for a partia chain guard.
  • oooh look what I've found. They will despatch to the UK.

http://hollandbikeshop.com/kettingkast_cid952.html
    http://hollandbikeshop.com/fietsonderde ... id506.html

Kettingschirm is Dutch for chainguard. Most of the stuff on offer is plastic by the look of things.

Access the site via Google Chrome and select the "translate to English automatically" option unless you speak Dutch!

If you do order from here they have a hefty postage charge for single items only. There's some stuff I'm after too -- a snelbinder (those clip-on elastic rear strap sets) and some LED bulbs for a dynamo powered integrated rear light. €15.00 is a little steep for posting this, it's more than the value of the items I'm after. If you live in Kent or SE London I'd order with you and split the postage costs then we meet up and split the parcel.
  • Danny1962 wrote:

Kettingschirm is Dutch for chainguard. Most of the stuff on offer is plastic by the look of things.

Kettingschirm is probably German, kettingkast is the Dutch.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a 1967 Raleigh RSW being split for spares that has a metal chain guard, the front wheel is about 46T, I'll check and let you know, I can also get some photo's of the mounting and condition - if your interested, PM me!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.