Elexir brake rub/bonding

poolboy
poolboy Posts: 69
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, can anyone advise a quick fix to my rear elexir 5 brake pad rubbing - just a slight squeal as I put max prsssure on the pedal down stroke. Wheel doesn't spin as sweetly as it should when unbraked.

My LBS fixed it last time for 8 euros so it must be a tweak.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like the caliper needs realigning. (see parktools) or your hub needs bearings/adjusting.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    To reset your caliper alignment: Undo the two mount bolts so the caliper is still attached, but free to move. Apply and hold on brake. With brakes still full on, re-tighten caliper mounting bolts.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poolboy
    thanks, I'll have a go tonight.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    benpinnick wrote:
    To reset your caliper alignment: Undo the two mount bolts so the caliper is still attached, but free to move. Apply and hold on brake. With brakes still full on, re-tighten caliper mounting bolts.

as above, but sometimes you still get a slight rub.
    another thing to try is loosen off the mounting bolts and spin the wheel to let the rotor find its best centre and then carefully tighten the bolts down again being careful not to move the caliper. works quite well for me anyway
  • grim168
    grim168 Posts: 482
    I have elixir 5's and have no end of bother with noisy brakes. I clean my discs with acetone which helps. I found the loosening and brake pulling method doesn't work that well so I loosen them and tap the claipers aligning them by sight looking for equal gaps either side. A tiny bit of grease on the concave washers helps as well.
  • poolboy
    hi, thanks all. I loosened the mounting bolts, tapped the calipers & spun the wheels, re tightened & hey presto, all aligned beautifully.

I guess being a hard tail the rear brake gets most shock so every few months it will become misaligned.

Thanks again all for the advice.