Leaking motion control

jwindeatt
jwindeatt Posts: 50
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
After an awesome trip to Afan I now have fluid leaking from the motion control lever on my forks. I removed the damper and can't see were it is leaking from. They are Recon race 100 mm and it leaks from the top of the motion control lever were its attached by the circlip. Can I re seal the top of the motion control or do I have to replace the assembly?

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are seals available - contact TF Tuned.
  • Honestly, this is why I'm happy with springs.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Honestly, this is why I'm happy with springs.

what has that got to do with anything? the air spring is on the other leg, the same leg as where the spring would be. the MoCo side is the same for air or coil.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Had same problem myself on a Recon U-turn and just ignored if for a while remember a little oil goes a looooooong way. Finally got round to fixing it as I was fitting the fork to a friends sons bike I just replaced all the O rings with standard ones rooted round in my big box of O rings and found all the right sizes. Most garages have a box of O rings and if you ask nicely and go equipped with chocolate biscuits they can sort you out. You can buy a box of O rings for not much Toolzone
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • So after a bit more research I found out that you can remove the top of the motion control assy. To do this hold the body and undo the cap clockwise with a 24mm socket. You can then pull the cap and shaft out. With this out you will see a top hat sectioned seal this was the one that was twisted on my assembly. I just took it off cleaned it and reassembled it. So far no leaks! I wish I had taken pictures when I did it. Hope this helps