f/s bike travel change 160-100mm

red eye
red eye Posts: 264
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
On the bike is a 200mm e2e, 55mm stroke to give 160mm travel. So say If I can find a shock with 179 e2e, 34 stroke and pair it with 100mm forks would this work? I posted this on another forum and getting conflicting answers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'm going to say no.

even if it did work, the geometry would be all wrong and the ride utter shite.
  • red eye
    But why? Surely I would be like running 70mm sag but with only 10mm extension. I will be using a 100mm fork aswell
  • Head angle, seat tube angle and tube lengths will be designed around 160mm travel. It would feel very odd at 100mm.

Some people notice a big difference in handling and feel from changing from 100mm to 120mm and vice versa on the same frame.

For instance, I had a 160mm travel hardtail with Uturn Domain forks, meaning I could run it at 160mm or 115mm.

At 115mm it was just far too steep and pretty much unridable. You could forget going down hill!
  • red eye
    Head angle, seat tube angle and tube lengths will be designed around 160mm travel. It would feel very odd at 100mm.

Some people notice a big difference in handling and feel from changing from 100mm to 120mm and vice versa on the same frame.

For instance, I had a 160mm travel hardtail with Uturn Domain forks, meaning I could run it at 160mm or 115mm.

At 115mm it was just far too steep and pretty much unridable. You could forget going down hill!
    I see what you mean but what you said is for one end, if both ends are dropped equaly the geo should be the same just the BB lower to the ground
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're going to contest people's answers, why bother asking at all?
  • red eye
    If you're going to contest people's answers, why bother asking at all?
    not contesting trying to get an understand as people say it won't work and I can't see why. You not got anything better to do?
  • Go try it then.... its your money!
  • red eye
    Go try it then.... its your money!
    your last post you used your uturn to drop your fork on your hardtail but ok never mind, which was some what useful if I was changing the rear travel without dropping the rear end.
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Theres a recent thread on here somewhere about geometry that should explain why it wouldn't work and yes it wouldn't work....
    Nicolai CC
  • Anonymous
    Several things change when suspension compresses, wheelbase, bb height, effective chainstay length, distance from centre of gravity to front wheel and so on.
    Your weight may well be shifted noticeably forwards.
    Also, most full suss bikes pedal best at a range of sag, if you're past that then the pedalling performance could become very strange.
    If the bike's suspension is designed to ramp up the spring rate as the travel increases, then it will be far less supple.
    This is quite apart from the fact that reducing suspension length will gain you nothing in return.

Need I go on?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what frame?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • red eye
    nicklouse wrote:
    what frame?
    07 norco six
  • Anonymous
    Doesn't that bike have two shock mounting positions, giving 120/160mm travel, and adjusting the spring rate accordingly, anyway?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Doesn't that bike have two shock mounting positions, giving 120/160mm travel, and adjusting the spring rate accordingly, anyway?

that is the fork.

the frame is 145-165mm travel :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Techically this will probably work, yes. Why do it is a different matter altogether.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    Well, if my memory serves me rightly (evidently it may not be), reducing the travel on that frame does not lower the ride height anything like as much.
    In fact, just like before, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you'd do so.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Download Linkgae, and put in the parameters - you'll have your geo.