What lock?? (someone just cut mine in two)

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
When I upgraded my bike in March I very naively failed to upgrade my lock and when I got out of Tesco on Weds night there was no prized Trek 1.2 and 1 cable lock cut in two :(

Cant afford a new bike for a while but I'm going to poodle around on an old MTB for a while. I havent got a lock though, so the one I buy for it I'd like to be suitable for a £500ish racer I'll get in the next few months.

But what to get?

Chain or D-lock?

Any brands I should look for? And how much am I going to need to spend?

I dont want anything too heavy or clumbersome but obviously I want to protect my bike in East London where bike theft seems to be a pretty popular past-time.

Many thanks

Comments

• kirkov
    kirkov Posts: 6
    If you want a good lock it's going to be heavy I'm afraid. Correct locking technique is also very important in high risk areas. Most people swear by the Kryptonite NY series. There's lots of helpful information in this thread-

http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    in summary of the link:

Buy a massive lock; above 16mm, ideally 18mm thickness. Insure your bike. Get a crap bike as a runaround. Personally, i'd spend a small amount of cash on converting your current old mtb into a nice to ride but awful to look at hack.