Cannondale CAAD9

jame58rown
jame58rown Posts: 263
edited August 2011 in Your road bikes
Here's my baby :wink: , I was the only one at the last club ride with an aluminium bike, still held it's own against the carbon machines :D

I love it, really stiff and great uphills XD

All tiagra
Mavic aksium wheels
Specialized toupe saddle

Comment on setup etc welcome and appreciated :D

6012600300_1e955c6cb7_z.jpg

6012605680_92e70b3ed6_z.jpg

6012048511_a40551515d_z.jpg

6012064007_df44eb26ac_z.jpg[/img]

Comments

• Arghyrou
    Arghyrou Posts: 155
    Nice looking bike, reckon some white bar tape would look good though ;)
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,083
    Very nice. You obviously went to a proper school as well as the sensors on the right way!
    Hmm, except that if it gets nudged in it gets tangled in the spokes.

Anyway, yes, a cracking bike, and I'm not in the least biased (well, maybe a bit). Incidentally, it holds its own against the SuperSix in many ways - I love riding both (but not at the same time). I'm hoping the CAAD9 will get cult status over time - a classic bike, and the last of the 'Handmade in USA' Cannondales. I hope you have many happy years together.
  • mb429
    mb429 Posts: 14
    Glad to see I'm not the only one using a full aluminium bike in club races! Felt F55 with aksiums and campag centaur... sweet as, couldn't ask for much better IMO
    Felt F55, for the do-everything stuff
    Cannondale CAAD10 1, for the going fast stuff
    Cannondale CAADX 105, for the muddy stuff
    Boardman MTB Team, for the muddy stuff the muddy stuff bike can't handle!
  • jame58rown
    Cranks started creaking today, me thinks I'm going to have to regrease the pedals or something. I've already talken apart and regreased the whole bottom bracket...Oh well, time to get greasy :twisted:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    jame58rown wrote:
    Cranks started creaking today, me thinks I'm going to have to regrease the pedals or something. I've already talken apart and regreased the whole bottom bracket...Oh well, time to get greasy :twisted:

The bolts on the none drive side, get an allen key on em and tighten em, mine started creaking because even though the bolts appeared tight, they'd worked themselves from properly tight.
  • jame58rown
    freehub wrote:
    The bolts on the none drive side, get an allen key on em and tighten em, mine started creaking because even though the bolts appeared tight, they'd worked themselves from properly tight.

I had a creaking a few days ago and sorted it by doing that on the side of the road, checked them again and they're very tight indeed....it must be something else :(

Thanks though :')
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Nice frame but having owned Tiagra, a toupe and Aksium wheels I don't think much of the rest of it.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • briantrumpet
    jame58rown wrote:
    I had a creaking a few days ago and sorted it by doing that on the side of the road, checked them again and they're very tight indeed....it must be something else
    I think it might be a tendency of Tiagra stuff down round the cranks - mine does that too, and I've learnt to live with it.
  • freehub
    jame58rown wrote:
    I had a creaking a few days ago and sorted it by doing that on the side of the road, checked them again and they're very tight indeed....it must be something else
    I think it might be a tendency of Tiagra stuff down round the cranks - mine does that too, and I've learnt to live with it.

I don't know how you've learnt to live with the creaking it's horrible and can do other peoples head in too.

I had it on tiagra and R700 with Dura-Ace BB's.

If tightening does not work, taking it off, cleaning it and putting it back on will fix it.
  • jame58rown
    I took apart the BB (again) and regreased everything, I also regreased the pedals, it seems to be fixed but I won't hold my breath and anticipate the creaking to start halfway up the next big hill :P
    antfly wrote:
    Nice frame but having owned Tiagra, a toupe and Aksium wheels I don't think much of the rest of it.

Well I love the toupe, and the wheels and tigra are an upgrade from my last £600 bike with sora and bog standard wheels. So I like 'em
  • freehub
    Aksium wheels are awesome.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Nice bike indeed, just like mine, or at least until I stripped it down and moved all the parts to my new Ti frame :)

I'm a bit undecided what to do with the frame tbh, whether to sell it or build it up again one day. I have read reviews that the USA frames are more comfortable than the new Far East versions.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • briantrumpet
    Carl_P wrote:
    I'm a bit undecided what to do with the frame tbh, whether to sell it or build it up again one day.
    Keep it long enough and it'll be a collectors' item - last of the 'Handmade in USA' Cannondales. You could do a lot worse for a spare frame in any case.
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    Do you have carbon based shoes? if so its the carbon sole on look pedals, renowned for it.
  • jame58rown
    JRooke wrote:
    Do you have carbon based shoes? if so its the carbon sole on look pedals, renowned for it.

I don't. It's more of a clicking sound than a creak....
  • briantrumpet
    jame58rown wrote:
    I don't. It's more of a clicking sound than a creak....
    I ought to record mine so we could compare...
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Is it BB30?
    I have clicking on a new Supersix - 3 weeks old.
    Was about to bring back to shop and wasn't there when I took it out for a test ride last night !!!
    It was happening at about 4o'clock position on no drive side crank I thought !!!
    Very weird !!!
    Hope it has sorted itself out....
    Did my head in checking pedals and every other bolt !!
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    You should check you don't have one of the recalled chainsets..
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:04 pm Post subject:
    You should check you don't have one of the recalled chainsets..

I think that was the old fsa gossamer crankset.
    I have new FSA SLK Light chainset. Dont think any issues with those - well none I have heard about !!!
  • jame58rown
    I fixed IT!

I tightened up the stem :? Clicking was gone :D

I fell back in love with my bike on todays ride XD
  • Knowing your part of the world very well; it ain't that flat. Do you ever find that your saddle is not far enough behind the BB axle to allow for comfortable climbing in the saddle?
  • jame58rown
    Knowing your part of the world very well; it ain't that flat. Do you ever find that your saddle is not far enough behind the BB axle to allow for comfortable climbing in the saddle?

I don't think so....Maybe I just don't know any better :P
  • Well ... looks a good time trial set-up.