the 'Fashion' of cyclists

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I used my old cycling clothes as rags in the garage, looking forward to when my rapha t-shirts join the Castelli oily rag collect.

*shakes fist at the corporation !!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:
    I used my old cycling clothes as rags in the garage, looking forward to when my rapha t-shirts join the Castelli oily rag collect.

*shakes fist at the corporation !!!

Designer oily rags? :roll:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I wear Lycra for my 18 mile commute - i get extremely warm on the bike and Lycra is extremely comfy and i could not get away with wearing my work clothes all day after a commute.

If i am wearing shorts as opposed to the bibs then I'll wear baggie cargo style shorts over the top of them to stop unnecessary builders exposure.

Lycra FTW all day.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • itboffin
    Having done a tiny bit of research it wouldnt cost more than about £5 + delivery for a black or white t-shirt from the same supplier as Rapha http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-condor-sharp-team-tshirt with a custom SCR logo.

any takers?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Maybe if you can find the supplier of knits
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    itboffin wrote:
    Having done a tiny bit of research it wouldnt cost more than about £5 + delivery for a black or white t-shirt from the same supplier as Rapha http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-condor-sharp-team-tshirt with a custom SCR logo.

any takers?

hmmmm maybe, although I feel a jersey might be more adpt :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    dhope wrote:
    ndru wrote:
    Dude, break the rules and wear normal clothes. You don't have to dress up to ride a bicycle...

Change the record.

Most days I cycle to work via the gym, if I cycled in normal clothes I'd have to take gym clothes and work clothes, rather than just heading to the gym in cycle kit.
    I know 99% of your posts advocate pootling to the shop around the corner but not everyone just cycles to pick up groceries, some cycle to get somewhere faster than they might on public transport, some for fitness, some for fun.

The most sensible, practical, clothing I can wear is sport specific clothing. Most sport I do is cycling, that means cycle specific.

Dude, you don't have to not dress up to ride a bike either.

http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2010-06-14
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Lyrca is cool and I look awesome in it !

And I don't care what anyone else thinks honest ;)
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Nik Cube wrote:

Likewise.

But: Cycling specific clothes can give the impression that cycling is not and never can be an everyday activity. The majority of people who could benefit from cycling know that they'd look like a black bin-liner full of 5hit. But if they can't cycle in everyday clothes they won't cycle at all. So Lycra can deter people from cycling.

The other problem, and I think the one being made (not altogether seriously) by the OP, is that not all cycling clothing is cool. Only the expensive, branded stuff is cool. Rapha cycle kit is expensive and doesn't even look like cycle clothing a lot of the time. So a Rapha retro-look shirt and jacket is cooler than generic black shrink-wrap.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dondare wrote:
    Nik Cube wrote:

Likewise.

But: Cycling specific clothes can give the impression that cycling is not and never can be an everyday activity. The majority of people who could benefit from cycling know that they'd look like a black bin-liner full of 5hit. But if they can't cycle in everyday clothes they won't cycle at all. So Lycra can deter people from cycling.

The other problem, and I think the one being made (not altogether seriously) by the OP, is that not all cycling clothing is cool. Only the expensive, branded stuff is cool. Rapha cycle kit is expensive and doesn't even look like cycle clothing a lot of the time. So a Rapha retro-look shirt and jacket is cooler than generic black shrink-wrap.

Yeah, but I don't see people in BMWs and think they're the only people that can drive. I look at them and think, 'prick'.
    I imagine people look at me in Rapha and think the same.

I can live with this.

I tend to commute in a mix of Decathlon, Specialized, Altura, Endura, Pearl Izumi, dhb, Surface, Rapha. Or a normal gym top. But not cotton t shirt or jeans, I'd be a state by the time I got to work.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Roadtart
    Roadtart Posts: 54
    itboffin wrote:

any takers?

A jersey would be more in order, in both long and short sleeve versions. The Rapha Cross Jersey is already on the Crimbo wishlist......and my lovely fiancee is an angel with a direct line to the bearded man in red.

Yes, please.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I don't like looking like a mobile advertising hoarding - I would probably wear more lycra if there were less advertising on it. My best and most comfortable shorts are a pair I got from Prendas - 2004 Italian Olympic Team which I got for 20 quid - never seen in public as I always wear baggies over them
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My commute's 5 miles. But it's broken up by an hour on the train in the middle; I'd look a bit of a wally in my cycling gear, so I normally just ride in whatever I'm wearing that day. Occasionally, I wish I hadn't, either because I got rained on (jeans suck in rain), or the sun came out (jeans suck in the sun). =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Agent57 wrote:
    My commute's 5 miles. But it's broken up by an hour on the train in the middle; I'd look a bit of a wally in my cycling gear, so I normally just ride in whatever I'm wearing that day. Occasionally, I wish I hadn't, either because I got rained on (jeans suck in rain), or the sun came out (jeans suck in the sun). =)

Alpkit might have a solution...

It is hard to see whether they are getting more in stock, or when, but they have a reputation of being very responsive to enquiries.

It is not cycling-specific, but I've seen reviews where people claim these are suitable for bouldering, so should have a good freedom of movement.

I also see that Levis are starting something similar. I've so-far only bought a cross between a drybag and a waterproof rucsac from Alpkit, but their service was very good, letting me know where the order was and came next day via first class post
  • NGale
    I will point out that my 'poorness' is made worse by the fact Jake has just spent a couple hundred quid in Rapha during his visit there on Friday while he was in London :(
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    NGale wrote:
    So stop it, I feel like I'm 13 again and being picked on for my 'gash trainers' at school again :lol:
    One of the good things about being older than 13 is no longer giving a flying f*ck about the logos on your clothes, right? Wear what you want to wear because - and this may sound harsh - Rapha or Primark, no one else really cares.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I don't like looking like a mobile advertising hoarding - I would probably wear more lycra if there were less advertising on it.

There's plenty of non-logo'ed stuff out there- where are you looking?
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I have revued my previous post on this thread and feel it was unduly harsh :oops: What I was trying to convey was that in Britain cycling is such a peripheral activity that, to the general populace, riding a bicycle cannot be cosidered 'fashionable'. That should not be construed any criticism of your person and if such an inference was drawn I apologise.

It is a pity that this country does not have the cycling culture of some other Northern European countries where riding a bike is both sensible and fashionable.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • jimmypippa
    I have revued my previous post on this thread and feel it was unduly harsh :oops: What I was trying to convey was that in Britain cycling is such a peripheral activity that, to the general populace, riding a bicycle cannot be cosidered 'fashionable'. That should not be construed any criticism of your person and if such an inference was drawn I apologise.

It is a pity that this country does not have the cycling culture of some other Northern European countries where riding a bike is both sensible and fashionable.

It wasn't unduly harsh. I guess it is conceivable that the lycra look could become fashionable; but it will never be stylish.

Some cycling clothing might though. Just not cycle clothing suitable for long commutes.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Lycra never will be, but then again neither is wearing a football shirt or rugby top.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Having done a shorts wash, its come to my attention that I like to avoid the lycra look and now own 5 different pairs of smart cycling shorts. :lol:

IMG_1271-PS.jpg

Hate to sound like ndru ( ;) ) but I did a 6 mile commute today in regular clothing across town. Why would anyone lycra up for such a distance given decent weather?!

It was hard to restrain the SCR in my mind but soon realised that I caught everyone at nearly every junction etc.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    NGale wrote:
    I will point out that my 'poorness' is made worse by the fact Jake has just spent a couple hundred quid in Rapha during his visit there on Friday while he was in London :(

He could have just looted it like everyone else....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jimmypippa
    NGale wrote:

That is probably "Conduct unbecoming..."
  • itboffin
    Just counted my cycling outfits (ghey) I have 16 cycling suits if you can call it that, ie top + bottoms, I'm not even going to look at the jackets, hats, socks, gloves, shoes, etc etc etc

No wonder i'm skint :cry:
  • NGale
    jimmypippa wrote:
    NGale wrote:

meh! there have been many times when his conduct has been unbecoming of an officer, notable once in the officer mess after a few drinks along with a few colleagues :lol: Somehow he manages to get away with it :shock:
  • jimmypippa
    NGale wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

meh! there have been many times when his conduct has been unbecoming of an officer, notable once in the officer mess after a few drinks along with a few colleagues :lol: Somehow he manages to get away with it :shock:

Would he be able to get away with wearing jeans - or is that allowed now?
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    refering to some of the above

cycling is cool lyrca couldn't be any cooler and i am awesomness itself.

To the rest of the world get over and stop your rioting or are the riots wiggles fault has anyone looked into this yet??
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • NGale
    jimmypippa wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    jimmypippa wrote:

Would he be able to get away with wearing jeans - or is that allowed now?

God no, jeans still arn't allowed in the messes on Navy bases, in fact a shirt with collar (or a polo shirt) is still expected. It's only recently they have relaxed the rules on officers having to wear ties in the mess although Jake still does...until he has a few too many to drink and usually the tie ends up as a head band :shock:

When I joined the Sea Cadet Corps I had to buy trousers especially to wear to the mess because I only owned Jeans or uniform trousers from the ambulance service!