New cassette guidance needed

luckypierre
luckypierre Posts: 76
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
HI all,

I just got my bike back from a service (I am not technically minded and living in a flat makes anything more complex than a puncture a space issue). Anyway I have been told that I need a new chain and rear cassette and thought that it might be something I could do myself. I have got to learn sometime.

My GT Avalanche expert has a SRAM 9 speed 12-32 casette but looking around they all seem to be 11-32 etc. I understand (I think) that SRAM and Shimano are interchangable but what does the 11-32 mean? I assume that it is the teeth on the cogs but not sure.

What effect will fitting a different cassette size have on my riding, I can't find a 12-32 anywhere. I have been looking at this and tohught it would make a good option but wold appreciate guidance.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5045

My mate is going to show me how to fit it so should be oaky there but want to make sure I get a compatible part.
Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes T is teeth 11T the smallest and 32 or 34 the largest. Sram and shimano cassettes are interchangeable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick one more question will the size of the casette affect the legnth of the chain required?
  • Pauldunk
    Pauldunk Posts: 42
    Changing from a 32t to a 34t the chain would be slightly longer check out the FAQ's on chain lenth.
    Also, great that your having a go doing the chain and cassette, but have you the tools?, a cassette removing tool and a chain breaker?

Enjoy...
  • i have got the chain breaker and my friend has the cassette removing tool from when he did his. I am moving soon so will have space to do more on the bike and at £45 labour I had to pay today as part of my service its kind of motivated me.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Get an SRAM powerlink it will make taking the chain off a lot easier in the future
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    New Sram or KMC chain will come with a powerlink
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools