I think I need new underpants!

Johnny Napalm
Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Never been any good at jumping, but I've been practicing (on the HT) again of late. I've been doing a small jump into a bombhole, which I sometimes do ok, sometimes not so ok.

Had a few goes this am, and the last attempt saw me get more air than I've ever had on any bike ever, but in mid-air I must've had a bit of a panic as my handlebars went into wobble-frenzy. I landed it and managed to control the wobble (more luck than judgement me thinks), and continued to ride, but I'm not sure if this will put me off or push me further. It was kind of a thrill getting some more air, but on the other hand I don't want it to put me off.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marin
SS Inbred
Mongoose Teocali Super

Comments

• JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Give it another go, only this time, faster!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • kdawg74
    kdawg74 Posts: 271
    As Jonesy would say dont panic Mr Mannering, easier to say than do i know but i crash less when i just let things happen and dont think about it too much.
    2008 Kona Dawg Deluxe http://s1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... luxe%2008/

Schwinn Madison fixie
    Tifosi Road bike
    Singlespeed Hardtail http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z39 ... AG0457.jpg
  • Dartster
    Dartster Posts: 56
    I would say think of it like this.....You jumped more than you ever have, had a panic on...but didn't crash.....Good times!

I'm no pro at jumping in the slightest and have had plenty of scary Wobble on moments....i've always found the best thing is to just go back and have another go ;)
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Cheers.

It was the fastest approach I've done so far, and I did give it a bit of pump just prior to launch, which obviously resulted in me going a lot higher than previous. As soon as I got in the air I realised that I'd done more than usual.

I suppose in the past I'd have really panicked and done something stupid like trying to hit the brakes and come a real cropper on landing, so at least I didn't do that. I do agree that I've found things a lot easier when I don't try to overthink it and relax, but sometimes at the last second I do tend to do knobbish things.

I'll keep at it as I'm trying to get used to the feeling of being off the ground.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • kinmofo
    kinmofo Posts: 172
    as long as you can reasonably control the bike in the air (tipping forwards or backwards or side to side) then you sould have no problems, but at no point should you quit if you fall off or nearly do. keep doing it till you feel you need a bigger jump / challange. if you let it beat you, you'll find it Really hard to do it again.
    I'm a Nazi Zombie! And You Cant Kill Me!

Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my Mind the most!

dont get mad, get KROSS