Southwark Councillor Dan Garfield calls cyclists "Murde

mybreakfastconsisted
mybreakfastconsisted Posts: 1,018
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
http://twitter.com/#!/DanGarfield

He's the chair of the Transport Committee, apparently.

Comments

• Whoops, that should be "Murderous", sorry!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Why, what did he say?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Looks like he said something along the lines of "almost got run over by a murderous cyclist".

He has then been clarifying his remarks to say that he only meant the cyclist that almost "killed" him.

To be fair - leaping up and down about someone tweeting in a private capacity about being scared by a cyclist is a bit pants.
  • Dear Mr Garfield.

I am sorry a cyclist nearly hit you, bad cyclists can be annoying, but as someone who cycles in the area I think your Twitter remarks are irresponsible. Motorists really don't need an excuse to act recklessly towards cyclists when public figures label them "Murderous", and the consequences are frequently much worse than when a cyclist and pedestrian collide.

Best regards

spin
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Dear MBC,

I'm sorry someone on Twitter offended you, but as someone who uses the internet regularly I doubt the faux outrage is required. Internet users appreciate that Twitter is almost universally pointless twaddle and the consequences of assuming otherwise can be catastrophic - I point you to Mr 'Robin Hood airport has a week to get their shit together or I'm blowing the place sky high' as an example of what happens when a tweet is taken seriously.

Best Regards
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Whatever the status of Twitter, doesnt it seem a little bit stupid for a politician - especially someone with responsibilities relating to transport - to make this statement?!
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    dhope wrote:
    Dear MBC,

I'm sorry someone on Twitter offended you, but as someone who uses the internet regularly I doubt the faux outrage is required. Internet users appreciate that Twitter is almost universally pointless twaddle and the consequences of assuming otherwise can be catastrophic - I point you to Mr 'Robin Hood airport has a week to get their shoot together or I'm blowing the place sky high' as an example of what happens when a tweet is taken seriously.

Best Regards

Just this.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,346
    How can this man be chair of a transport committee after murdering a cyclist?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    The man's a communications professional, apparently.

And his leadership of the transport Committee explains an awful lot about transport infrastructure (or lack thereof) in Southwark.
    Riding on 531
  • How can this man be chair of a transport committee after murdering a cyclist?

It's part of the initiation, apparently! :x
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    His phone number is on LFGSS if anybody wants a chat. He hasn't been answering apparently.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    mroli wrote:
    Looks like he said something along the lines of "almost got run over by a murderous cyclist".

He has then been clarifying his remarks to say that he only meant the cyclist that almost "killed" him.

So not cyclists, then - a cyclist.

Way to go on the old accuracy again brekkie.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Clarion wrote:
    The man's a communications professional, apparently.

Public servant communications professional.

You may draw your own conclusions
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Read the link:

DanGarfield Dan Garfield
    @ @AndrewHewitt10 hate cyclists - full of 'I'm a kind person' whilst POTENTIALY KILLING PEOPLE. hash tag #cyclistsaremurderous
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    gets better

https://member.lgiu.org.uk/about/people ... field.aspx
    Dan Garfield is the LGiU's public affairs manager. He is responsible for LGiU’s relations with key parliamentarians and works to further the influence of LGiU’s policy in Westminster and Whitehall.

Dan joined the LGiU in September 2008 and his previous experience includes working in Parliament for Rob Flello MP, and as a political consultant for Connect Public Affairs. He has worked on public affairs campaigns for a number of clients including housing associations, trade unions, and membership groups.

gets better

LGiU =
    The Local Government Information Unit (LGiU) is an award winning think tank and membership organisation. Our mission is to strengthen local democracy to put citizens in control of their own lives, communities and local services.

Our team of policy experts provides practical policy advice, learning and development programmes, events and conferences, consultancy and other resources to our members and other organisations.

Am i the only one . . . . .

Come the revolution etc
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Communications, eh?

Well, you have to admit, he did manage to get his message across.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    hash tag #wanker
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14