Triple to single chainring conversion - FSA chainset.

Phil Butcher
Phil Butcher Posts: 12
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I will soon be collecting a 2011 Boardman Comp mtb through Cycle to Work. I am looking to convert the FSA Alpha Drive 44,32,22 chainset to Single 36T with bashguard & chain tensioner. (removing the front mech & shifter)..

Looked online and seen an FSA 3mm 4bolt 104mm chainring, a Blackspire Stinger BB mount and an MRP S4 Bashguard.

From reading other posts, will I be able to effectively replace the outer ring with the bashguard and the middle ring with the 36T chainring, and just remove the granny ring?
Will I then need to fit the chainguide with spacers? and buy longer/shorter bolts?

I currenlty have a 2000 Kona Scab running two rings and a bashguard, but don't use granny ring much (except for trials) (mech non-existent).

Thanks in advance, Phil
Boardman comp mtb: 75mm gravity stem, fsa 34t single chainring e-13 chain device & bashguard.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as it is a powerdrive crankset you may (will) not find an E type BB for the cransk so you may have to change the cranks and BB on a bike that you do not actually own.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So 1) will a chain tensioner fit fsa alpha drive?
    2) a bottom bracket dictates what and how many chainrings fit and what cranks to fit?

Okay- so- would a bashring equivalent to 44T be suitable - to swap with the outer ring? If so, any suggestions on a bashring to fit the cranks?... i'll keep the granny ring then i suppose and just remove the shifter and mech.

sorry if sound so 'unknowledgeable' - my Kona came with bashguard as standard and the standard gearing was fine so no need to change to anything different.

I am intending to keep the bike... other people have not had any issues with 'modifying' their cycle to work rides.
    Boardman comp mtb: 75mm gravity stem, fsa 34t single chainring e-13 chain device & bashguard.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not possible with the current crank set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown