Exposed cyclists - should you say something?

squired
squired Posts: 1,153
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
As the summer has passed I've come across a number of people commuting to/from work who are exposing a large chunk of backside (generally men) or a small amount of backside, but a fair amount of their underwear. In fact, the woman I passed this morning probably ended her ride with 20 male cyclists behind her based on the rear view she was displaying.

So, the question is, would it be a bad idea to quietly have a word with a fellow cyclist to let them know that they are probably exposing more than they realise. If saying it to a male cyclist I'd half expect to get a rude comment back, but if saying to a woman is she just going to think the person saying it is some sort of pervert, or conversely be devastated?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    "Put your hideous arsse away you fat cow" is what a woman will hear if you point that out to her :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    squired wrote:
    So, the question is, would it be a bad idea to quietly have a word with a fellow cyclist to let them know that they are probably exposing more than they realise. If saying it to a male cyclist I'd half expect to get a rude comment back, but if saying to a woman is she just going to think the person saying it is some sort of pervert, or conversely be devastated?

SSSSHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Women with tails on display is fine by me :)

Fat hairy blokes in faded and threaded lycra with arse cracks shining out for all to see is entirely another matter. It's not pleasant no matter what your orientation. You're deep in fetish territory there!

I've had a word with 1 man and 1 woman so far over the past couple of years.

Woman's response was "ooo ooo, sorry! and she then pulled over to adjust things.

Man's response was more chewbacca.jpg complete with grunts about pulling my arms off when he's angry.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    squired wrote:

On a few occasions I have said "shorts getting a little thin, mate" as I rode past... Never hung around to witness the reaction.

I would hope people would return the favour though. A pair of bib shorts that looks just fine indoors when you are standing straight could be perfectly obscene in bright sunlight bent in half on a road bike.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I don't mind if you don't tell them.

I once informed a young lady that her thong was on show but in hindsight (an appropriate word here) it was probably deliberate since over the next few months "whale tails" became the height of fashion.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    We had a four man peloton leaving work on Tuesday - the guy in 2nd (me in front) was a 1st timer with us, and was wearing lycra shorts (NOT bibs)...

The call came out REALLY clearly from the 3rd place guy: "Dude! You have REALLY got to buy a longer t-shirt!!"

:D:D:lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    We had a four man peloton leaving work on Tuesday - the guy in 2nd (me in front) was a 1st timer with us, and was wearing lycra shorts (NOT bibs)...

The call came out REALLY clearly from the 3rd place guy: "Dude! You have REALLY got to buy a longer t-shirt!!"

:D:D:lol:

Sure he wasn't talking to you?

Arf arf arf....
    619337-Seal-with-Ball_thum.jpg

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    If my @rse is on show then why do they always draft me?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    If my @rse is on show then why do they always draft me?

Perhaps they were just enjoying the craic? :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Just make sure you've got nice underwear on. I've mentioned to someone before that their shorts were a little thin and her v dotty pants were showing through. She was mortified but said thank you.

I was in Wales last weekend and the cook at the place we were saying bent over at one point, exposed a large portion of some v groovy green pants with a large hole on the buttock. What was more alarming was that he was wearing their exact twins the next again day...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Surely it's just somewhere to park your bike at the next traffic lights so you don't have to unclip.