London -Surrey Classic

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
The test event for the 2012 Cycling is taking place on August 14th. I was going to take a walk to the end of the road to watch them go by, but I didn't realise it was going to be such a big event....
BBC wrote:
1121: CYCLING -Mark Cavendish could face American rival Tyler Farrar in the London-Surrey Cycle Classic, the London 2012 Road Race test event, which takes place on Sunday 14 August. Also among the entries for the race are Olympic Team Pursuit champion Ed Clancy, Australian Matt Goss and Italy's Davide Appollonio.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Will have to be careful opening my front door, don't want to take any of them out :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You bet.

Boonen's riding.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've got passes for Box Hill / The Mall but think I'm going to be too busy to go... :(
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Going to get over to RP for this.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    At a fecking wedding - had to find a home for my boxhill wristbands.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I'm out on the bike.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    May show the littl'un her first bike race. As I'm not organised enough to have a wrist band for Box Hill or the start/finish, any suggestions for good spectating spots besides RP?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • womble88
    womble88 Posts: 32
    How did you get wristbands? My parents applied as local residents, I applied through Surrey police and British Cycling, but nothing......
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Going to get over to RP for this.

can you get in to RP for this ? no restrictions? what sort of time would be good?

apart from there where else would be a good location? pretty open to locations

im going to check out boxhill tomorrow i think..never been...
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    rjsterry wrote:
    May show the littl'un her first bike race. As I'm not organised enough to have a wrist band for Box Hill or the start/finish, any suggestions for good spectating spots besides RP?

Same. I'm usually left holding the baby on Sunday mornings so it should wok out nicely. I'll probably take a walk over to Bushy park. It's a got a nice long open stretch of road and they should roll by fairly slowly. If I'm still there a couple of hours later I'll head down to Hampton Court to catch them coming home.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    There are signs up on the gate at RP stating you are not allowed to ride on the closed roads. Nothing about the others. I too had no idea the even was so big. Might have to take a spin out to Richmond Park on Sunday. I was going out for a ride anyway.

Anyone want to meet up in the park?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    http://www.royalparks.org.uk/London2012 ... hypark.cfm

Richmond Park and Bushy Park will be closed to vehicles all day on 14 August 2011
    All dogs will be required to be kept on leads across the both parks
    Please guard against fire and litter and please note that BBQ's are not permitted
    Cycling will not be possible on the event route from 8pm on Saturday 13 August until 9pm on Sunday 14 August
    In Richmond Park, cycling will be possible on the Tamsin trail, National cycle route 4 and from Roehampton car park to Kingston car park
    Crossing the race route will only be possible at specified crossing places and at limited times
    Cyclists will have to walk in some areas
    Expect congestion at pedestrian gates, on the race route and at key viewing places - please be patient
    Tree climbing is not permitted
    Please respect the crowd barriers, notices and instructions from event stewards
    Horse riding will not be possible
    --
    Chris

• I never ever win anything so it won't harm my chances if hundreds of you have a shot at winning free VIP armbands here...

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/win-a-pair-o ... or-victory
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I got a couple of pairs for Box Hill, from C+, so three spare (ATM). Drop me a line if you're interested.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Hampton Court will be a good spot. I'm heading there with the family for 08:30. We're a bit spoilt in that it's 5 mins away on the bikes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I got sent an invite by BC a while back but didnt bother, I can not be arsed with big crowds too watch 100 seconds of bicycle whiz past.

TV people TV
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sketchley
    Is it on TV?
    --
    Chris

• Sketchley wrote:
    Is it on TV?

Apart from the news where it'll be a bit about road closures it would seem not :(

ITV's TV guide website does a search of all Terrestrial and Satellite programme info and returns nothing related to this event in the next 2 weeks...

(but strangely does have something about action from the East Yorkshire Classic, a British Premier Calendar Series event.. Category: Sport Cycling, Tuesday 9th August at 6:30pm on Sky Sports 3 - go figure?)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: