Sardinia

milleman
milleman Posts: 181
edited August 2011 in Tour & expedition
Off to Sardinia in early october for a weeks cycling, anybody been before-what can I expect in terms of road conditions, weather etc

cheers

Comments

• garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Sardinia is my favourite place on earth, but you might struggle with road conditions and driving capabilities of the locals. I've not visited South America or Africa, but Sardinians are the worst drivers I have ever experienced.

They cover the whole gamut of woefulness - you have plenty of those driving at a constant 40kmh along any road and through any junction.

Then there's a lot who will drive right behind the car in front, halfway out in the road, before overtaking on a blind bend and then forcing the car they're overtaking off the road when they are compelled to move over for oncoming trafic.

Half drive ridiculously slow, and half drive far beyond their capabilities and none can use any of the optional extras like indicators.

That said, Sardinians are wonderful, their food and wine is fantastic, and their country is beautiful. You'll just come back very clear why there've never been any famous Sardinian racing drivers.

The roads are very quiet, and you can go a long way between villages so pack well.

WHen you get back I'd love to hear how your experience talies with the above!
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Thanks for that

Really looking forward to the trip, better pack my hi-vis jacket!

will post how I get on.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I've been to Sardinia a couple of times and although I was mostly riding off-road, Garnett's comments don't accord at all with my own experience. Yes I have to admit that Italian drivers do seem to be less aware of braking distances and you do see idiots driving too close to the car in front and then overtaking somewhere stupid - which is pretty scary if you're riding along in the other lane minding your own business when they do decide to overtake - however these sorts of idiot are definitely in a small minority.

IME (OK somewhat limited) Sardinians are no worse than drivers in other parts of Italy or in France, Spain or the UK.

Hi-viz is always a good idea (and obligatory in poor visibility and in tunnels) but you'll be fine.

Again I was mainly riding off-road, but my recollection is that roads were in very good condition (maybe better than elsewhere in Italy).

The weather at that time of year is unpredictable - it's probable you will have some hot and sunny days but also some rainy ones.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I spent 2 weeks in Sardinia 'warm weather' training prior to the UK MTB race season. It rained almost every day for the 2 weeks.

Granted, probably just unlucky!

Having said that, we had no problems whatsoever with drivers when we did have to go on road.
  • mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    I went there in May and was based just outside Cagliari. As we toured around in our hired car I noticed the road surfaces around southern Sardinia are excellent. With very few exceptions. I only wish we had the same quality here.

Have a great holiday.
  • Have a look at this video from a road race where we live along "Italy's most scenic road" the SS 125 on the E coast of Sardinia. The road cycling and mountain biking here is great, much better than other bits of Italy (and Sardinia) in terms of road quality! ciao Peter
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    There's no question there are some excellent roads.

I've been to Sardinia 5 times now, so for a total of about 10 weeks , and driven each time, going round the island completely 3 out of the 5 times. If you come off the main roads, inland, you will find some rough road surfaces, but, I'd agree, the coastal roads are generally very good.

As for the driving, I guess I've not driven as much in any other country apart from England. Also, my experience was from inside another car. Maybe they are different around bikes, with the increased respect for cycling Italians, and the French seem to harbour. YMMV.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Garnett wrote:
    Maybe they are different around bikes, with the increased respect for cycling Italians, and the French seem to harbour. YMMV.

I doubt anyone would want to tailgate a bike!

BTW and way off topic I've been wondering what YMMV stood for - the acronymfinder gives various definitions from Your Mileage May vary to You Make Me Vomit. So I'm none the wiser. :?