MTB Clothing: It Just Doesn't Fit?!!!

MissBint37
MissBint37 Posts: 1,503
edited June 2012 in Women
I have been reading the shopping thread.

I hate shopping with a passion, I am not your average woman in that department at the best of times.

I hate shopping for bike stuff even more. Clothes just don't fit me :( I am 5'9" tall and a size 8 on top, 10 on the bottom. Not unusual. But all women's clothes in an 8 or small or whatever for my top half pretty much are too short in the arms and on the torso. Shorts wise I have muscly thighs froom snowboarding so I can't fit them into less than what is usually a large or extra large, which means I have a massive gaping hole at the back of the waistband because my waist is too small

OK these clothes might fit an anorexic WAG with no muscles, but how many of them do you see on a MTB? Women's clothes for active sporty pursuits need tailoring to the athletic ladies build.

So............mostly I buy guys stuff, I get the length etc but it is still too baggy and i look like I am wearing a parachute. I can't win!

/rant
Ride it like you stole it!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    My girlfriend is a very similar size to you, she found Maloja and Pearl Izumi tops longer than most, although not seen them around for a bit.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Just PM'd you.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Most women I've known have had the same issues as you. And it's not just them - I have the same problem with kecks, and t-shirts.
    I have to wear fat-man sized trousers, because anything under a size 34-36 waist will be cutting off the circulation to my thighs - but that leaves me with a hanging waistband.
    T-shirts are invariably tight in the arms, or the body is too skinny.
    The only clothing I have that really fits properly, is a tailored suit.

Anwyay, my point is, it's not just you, it's just that clothes in general seem to be badly measured.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm the exact opposite to you, short and fat :lol: Womens sportswear doesn't go up high enough, mens is too long.

hmmm I wonder if I cycled naked around sports company's headquarters they'd get the message fat people need sportswear as well (more so than thin ones in fact).
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Yup, I agree with all the comments made on here... if you think its difficult buying clothes to fit you wanna try getting body armour!! Absolutely no chance :( . The end result for me was that I had to make do with a 661 medium short sleeved jacket which rode up so much that it wedged in my helmet and I couldn't turn my head!! The women specific one's I tried were too tight on my arms and chest (yes, omg a sporty girl who actually has boobs and proper arms, not sticks!!) but correct body length.. the men's were all too long in the body and just too uncomfortable. So, I gave up and did without. Had a big tumble in the Megavalanche race and cracked my ribs - GREAT.
    I intend to see if I can get the 661 modified somehow and remove a couple of the back plates and generally tighten it up where needed. Anyone done this before??
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    kathg wrote:
    Yup, I agree with all the comments made on here... if you think its difficult buying clothes to fit you wanna try getting body armour!! Absolutely no chance :( . The end result for me was that I had to make do with a 661 medium short sleeved jacket which rode up so much that it wedged in my helmet and I couldn't turn my head!! The women specific one's I tried were too tight on my arms and chest (yes, omg a sporty girl who actually has boobs and proper arms, not sticks!!) but correct body length.. the men's were all too long in the body and just too uncomfortable. So, I gave up and did without. Had a big tumble in the Megavalanche race and cracked my ribs - GREAT.
    I intend to see if I can get the 661 modified somehow and remove a couple of the back plates and generally tighten it up where needed. Anyone done this before??

Lol. Body armour never actually fits anyone. Sorry to hear about your ribs though.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I have similar. Size 10 on top, size 12 - 14 bottom. Normally to get shorts or jeans that can accomodate my arse and thighs, I end up with a couple of inches of excess waistband. I can use a belt, but it's a bit uncomfortable and looks a bit rubbish having a load of excess fabric bunched up. On the plus side if you leave the gaping fabric at the back you can act as a makeshift basket to carry items around for your friends. -_-

I personally tend to find the Altura shorts are a better fit than the Endura ones, which seem to be a bit more boy-fit.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Nice to hear, should I ever drop to "normal" size I still wont be able to get clothes to fit :lol:
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I've always struggled to get ANYTHING to fit :(...being 6ft 2" and size 18-20 on the top half and 14 on the bottom half scuppers a lot, so I end up wearing blokes stuff most of the time ( can't afford to shop at Long Tall Sally :( )
    Sports stuff is a real pain, all too short in arms and body and made to fit proper shaped figures and the shorts and trousers are a disaster, shorts und up above thigh length and trousers look like my shoes and trollies have had an argument and hate to be near each other :lol:
    So it's blokes stuff or look like i'm wearing kids clothes lol

Caz xx
  • wheelygood
    wheelygood Posts: 101
    A lot of shorts have odd shaped pads in them too that never fit neatly - either that or I am a strange shape for a lady! Best I have come across are the Skins ones - they fit a treat - they don't go on pure size such as sm, med. large. They have a great chart to work out exactly what fits taking into account weight. But they are very expensive but so comfy. The pads in them are excellent too.
  • foxc_uk
    foxc_uk Posts: 1,292
    Bumping this thread as I just bought some shorts which fit quite well.
    Ladies Fox Diva, pads are really comfy, especially in comparison to the ones that came with my Endura shorts.
    I'm a size 14, and got the large which is a good fit. A bit on the close fitting side, but I do need to lose weight! The great thing about these shorts is they are low rise (I HATE wearing shorts that are supposed to fit at the waist, means that when I wear them hanging low I end up with crotch-catch on my saddle!)
    Only down side is they're not all that long, only come down to the knee (although I have long legs so this might just be me) - I prefer just past the knee personally. But I suppose it doesn't matter as I will be wearing them with knee pads most of the time.
  • Njee20,

I've struggled to find Pearl Izumi womens stuff for my better half since Wiggle stopped stocking it. One of the few womens brands which makes good technical clobber and fits my normal shaped girlf.

This site has a reasonable range of womens Pearl Izumi clothing . I've not used them but I might pickup a few bits for XMAS for the girl!

N
  • amyabcd
    amyabcd Posts: 51
    No, I always wear mens, I am really on the podgy side mens stuff can go big enough, but its all too long in the body and legs. Womens stuff just doesn't fit.

Any one got any recommendations for stuff for the bigger girls.

( I know, I know ride more...)
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    kathg wrote:
    Te end result for me was that I had to make do with a 661 medium short sleeved jacket which rode up so much that it wedged in my helmet and I couldn't turn my head!!

Have you thought about attaching it to your shorts with a zip, or even a crotch strap?? I used to do that when I was racing motorbikes. Just sewed on a 1" wide bit of elastic webbing on each side to go through yer crotch and a button or clip or similar on the front. Voila! no more armour in the neck!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Im fairly big too, just get mens stuff, so what if t shirts/ shorts are longer. Mens stuff usually goes upto XXL and this should fit someone whos 18-20.