Dam Thieves!

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Just noticed last night that the saddle bag on my MTB was missing.
Now it would not just fall off.

Only time recently it has been out of my sight was when I was in A&E helping an injured friend a couple of weeks ago. Bike was double locked to a fence right outside, and well away from public view, so surmise that some scrote going into or leaving A&E nicked it. Never thought to take of saddlebag..... :cry:

As I am away on an MTB epic tomorrow, I now need to go out and replace the kit - multitool, tubes, chain pins, quick links, tyre boot, tyre levers, patches, etc etc... as well as the saddlebag itself. Probably best part of £70. Grrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• roddixon
    roddixon Posts: 100
    Some numpty stole my frame bag with nothing in it... people will snatch anything that isnt bolted to the ground, hate ++ :evil:
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Hospitals do have all sorts of wasters wandering about.

I shall best the empty bag theft, with a black carrier bag being stolen off my saddle (using as rain cover)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    When I had my bike crash, someone persuaded the ambulabnce staff to take my bike in the ambulance with me to hospital. However when I emerged the lock had been placed round the seatpost (attached to a railing), so all any potential thief needed to do was undo the allen key on the seatpost collar and they would have the whole bike! I was amazed it was still there after 4 hours...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've just asked one of our account managers to get the light off my bike I forget to take off this morning. He's out seeing a broker not far away, I'd love to see him try and get it off though, he's got no clue about bikes.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I lost a battered aluminium water bottle on my last trip down to London with the bike. Bike itself was double locked and fortunately I had removed lights, computer etc. Bottle wasn't worth anything but I was thirsty when I noticed. :evil:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Years ago I locked by MTB up in Ashton Court in Bristol. Wandered around the park for a bit with some mates and when I came back someone had nicked the saddle :evil: Had to ride home standing up the whole way.

Same MTB was locked in an AA car park when I worked there (again in Bristol). Someone stole the rear bike light that I'd selotaped onto the seat post as it was broken. Had to ride home after my shift ended at 11pm and got stopped by the Fuzz for riding with out a rear light. :evil: :evil: Who the hell steals a broken rear light from a work car park?

It got worse, someone stole the MTB a few months later :evil: :evil: :evil:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    roddixon wrote:
    Some numpty stole my frame bag with nothing in it... people will snatch anything that isnt bolted to the ground, hate ++ :evil:
    So true.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Unlucky, Wallace. Grrrr indeed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    I thought this was going to be a thread about rising water levels and imminent flooding.

Try 'damn' :wink:
    "Coming through..."
  • Wallace1492
    TuckerUK wrote:
    I thought this was going to be a thread about rising water levels and imminent flooding.

Pedantic!! :wink: someone must have stolen the "n"! D mn Thi ves!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    TuckerUK wrote:

Pedantic!! :wink: someone must have stolen the "n"! D mn Thi ves!
    Must admit I thought it, too, and that they could have been usefully employed during WWII to save that double-barrelled Wallace chap some effort
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I had a bottle battery stolen from my parked bike. It was a home-made affair with a lead acid battery inside the mankiest waterbottle I had, sealed up with gaffer tape.

These thieving scroats never ask "whats it worth", its is always "can I nick it".

What is the market value of a used saddle or saddlebag?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Depends if it was off Pippa Middleton's bicycle I guess?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • You are all assuming that the reason thieves steal stuff off your bikes is to make a raise, Sometimes it is, but the real reason is because they can. Thieves have shitty lives (which they richly deserve) that give them a deep resentment of everyone else's, so they will take stuff from you just to annoy you and make your life that little bit more like thiers. It makes them feel more equal to you.

Fed up with having to remove lights every time I parked my bike, back in the 80s I bought a set (made I think by Ever Ready, who made batteries that were anything but), that locked to your rear stay and handlebars by a fairly substantial toughened plastic bracket; these things were too big for pockets and you turned them on and off with the key. I only had them a few weeks before they were smashed off the bike, presumably with a big hammer, and stolen. In that state they'd have been of no further use to the thief, who had clearly taken them just to show he could. I now remove everything I can every time, including my Toepeak bar carrier and panniers when I use them for shopping. The up side of this is that the panniers can be loaded at the checkout and my shopping clamped directly to the bike.
  • Wallace1492
    Well, replacement kit bought - total of £68.93 and that does not include the loss of the emergency money, or other bits and pieces like disposable gloves, cable ties, ryhipnol..... no err I mean plasters and antiseptic wipes.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Someone stole both QR skewers out of my locked bike once. Bit of a surprise when both wheels fell off...