Full face helmets

Dannyboy95
Dannyboy95 Posts: 245
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Hello there. I am wondering there are many bicycle helmets out there but very few full face helmets. I know that DH full face helmets have been on the scene for a while but what about us commuters and road riders. Although wearing a DH full face helmet on a road bike we would look pretty daft but yes we have very good cycling helmets that protect our 'head' what about our face. I mean seriously you could do some serious damage to your face even on a fall at low speeds what's your verdict on wearing full face helmets while commuting/road riding?.
cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
Current Bike-TREK 4500
Previous Bikes
:Giant Roam 3
:Bianchi Nirone 7

Comments

• jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    The reason no one does is, well try it, and you will find out why.

The reason there are vent holes in cycle helmets are obvious, it would be like cycling in a sauna.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Dannyboy95
    Erm im slightly confused what does a hairless squirrel have to do with full face helmets. Not the answer im looking for im afraid lol.

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    I regularly see a guy on my commute wearing a kind of full face helmet, really a light cycle helmet with a chinguard, something like this:

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/met_parachu ... eview.html
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    Erm im slightly confused what does a hairless squirrel have to do with full face helmets. Not the answer im looking for im afraid lol.

The hairless squirrel is part of the users signature and not related to this thread in any way whatsoever. Will be in every post he makes.

FF helmet: You'd look a bit daft, but each to their own I suppose. BMX lid perhaps. I'd be worried about visibility myself.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Dannyboy95 wrote:

The hairless squirrel is part of the users signature and not related to this thread in any way whatsoever. Will be in every post he makes.

FF helmet: You'd look a bit daft, but each to their own I suppose. BMX lid perhaps. I'd be worried about visibility myself.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I wear a full face helmet; I figure anything my face would likely land on would be harder.

I am sure you have all seen the horror stories of teeth being knocked out or jaws going out of alignment.

I appreciate (and hope) it is unlikely, but...
  • Dannyboy95
    In reply to levi_501 thats exactly what i mean i dont want to go smashing my teeth out lol. But I suppose its unlikely you will always go skidding down the road on your face.

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    But I suppose its unlikely you will always go skidding down the road on your face.

Agreed, but it has happened, I know of one or two on the lfg forum
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I think David Coulthard was trying to market something like this a couple of years ago.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    The Met parachute has a removable chin guard and plenty vents to keep you cool. My mate wears one for mountain biking and seems happy with it. But if you want face protection where does it go from there? Knee pads? Elbow pads? Body armour?

My advise would be just don't fall off or crash.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    oodboo wrote:
    The Met parachute has a removable chin guard and plenty vents to keep you cool. My mate wears one for mountain biking and seems happy with it. But if you want face protection where does it go from there? Knee pads? Elbow pads? Body armour?

My advise would be just don't fall off or crash.

ive heard of people coming wearing them "parachute" helmets an the chin guard smashing an covering their face with fibre glass/ carbon shrapnel

i was going to get one for downhilling last year, i ended up buying an Animal lid
    Keeping it classy since '83