Limits of my bike

Greggors
Greggors Posts: 53
edited August 2011 in MTB general
Have been wondering this for a little while,

What are people general thoughts on the limit of this bike, i ride mainly in the peak district so quite rocky, the odd drops of maybe a foot. Nothing too crazy or gnarly! Im around 13 stone so not massively heavy.

Also what would you say would be the one time limit of a bike like this as in one big drop. I know it depends on the landing, technique etc. But again just for a rough idea.

Shoot me down if the questions are way to broad to be answered but I'm just looking for a rough idea of what the bike will go through. Im pretty sure the bikes capabilities outweigh mine but its it up to being hammered around the peaks?

Bike details

Commencal Premier S

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/commencal/premier-s-2011-mountain-bike-ec026752

Its the same frame as the Super 4 but lower spec.

Comments

• tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    The fun is in finding out its limits! youd be suprised how much it could actually take, you'd probably be okay up to about 5/6 feet drops to flat, more if there are decent landings so long as you're fairly smooth. Wouldnt recommend you try them every ride though, and youll need to learn to true wheels!

Oh and make sure the seat is down!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    nice bike, should be capable of most stuff in the peaks. Its probably more down to how you ride an handle the stuff out there. I found my wheels to be the most vunerable parts in the dark peak area.Thats prob down to having puncture's on place's like Jacobs ladder.
    Plus one about the wheel trueing mind
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    6ft drops to flat?! Not sure an XC bike is designed for that!
  • Greggors
    Greggors Posts: 53
    Pretty much confirmed my thoughts that the bike would outperform me.

The reason I was asking is because my frame has cracked and was making sure my expectations of the bike were not too high.

Anyway the bike is still under warranty so should be sorted out, just a annoying as its only 5 months old and halfway through the summer!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    One of our rental bikes snapped its seat stay today - on a green trail mid corner, light rider, it was a full suss all mountain style bike with about 25 days use! Warranty replacement from manufacturers as looking at it it is clearly a manufacturing issue.

Most bikes are tough enough for a bit of abuse - not sure about 6 ft to flat for an xc hardtail though!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    6 foot drop on xc bike, I would not risk myself or the bike!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Depends, is that actual feet or Pinkbike Feet?

(never trust a Pinkbike member to help you park your car- "Yeah, keep coming, still got about 6 feet to go... 5... 4... CRUNCH")
    Uncompromising extremist
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Northwind wrote:
    Depends, is that actual feet or Pinkbike Feet?

(never trust a Pinkbike member to help you park your car- "Yeah, keep coming, still got about 6 feet to go... 5... 4... CRUNCH")
    True, a pinkbike foot is an inch or 2 :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Northwind wrote:
    "About Me: I spend too much time on the internet "

:lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have a hardtail which started off with Tora's. I have nailed it. Had some great fun. I had to replace most of it. Had some great fun and done some stupid things on it. Something cool about pushing something to its limits.
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Seems my suggestion was a little off then... The reason I said that was I once saw someone ride off a 5 foot (proper 5 foot, not pinkbike feet) on a sh!thouse supermarket rig and it didn't fold up when he landed as was predicted, so I figure a bike that isnt just cobbled together bits of pig iron welded together by a blind monkey would probably take more of a kicking. Im not suggesting that's what its designed for, or even that he try it, just that in a one off situation (weve all ventured down a trail thats a bit beyond our ability) he'd (probably) be ok.

Plus If Mr Ashton can ride trials (including drops) on a road bike...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Trouble is, Mr Ashton can land drop s very very smoothly.

And a bike made out of pig iron can be as strong as a challenger tank :lol: