Wedding Presents (On-Topic!)

jamesco
jamesco Posts: 687
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
My mate is getting married in a few weeks and we need to get a present or two. The main one will be a donation to their couch-fund, but I'd like to get something more as he's a good bloke; we're kiwis, so something unique from the UK would be a bit different and a bit of a laugh.

He does ironman events and she's not far behind, so I was thinking of getting a couple of cycling jerseys for those long training days on the bike, specifically these:

product_image_205_189.jpg
product_image_12_12.jpg

Any thoughts? Would you be happy giving (or getting) these jerseys? Anything else come to mind that's better and a bit of fun, too?

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Saw a.Marmite one on here a while back, can't get more British than that!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I have a Foskal jersey. It's without doubt the worst made, ill-fitting jersey I've ever used. The zip on it is sub-Lidl quality and the material they use is god awful and sweaty as hell.

But, yes, they are good designs.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Well, I've just left London after 8 years and I'd LOVE the LU one - where would I get one?

And I'd love one for a wedding present too (and I'm female!). I think it's nice to get something personal that's not a toaster, dining service, whatever off the John Lewis wedding list....
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Foskai do an A-Z of London one too

product_image_5_4.jpg

But yeah, they're fun and cool and I'd wear them if someone gave me one.

The other thing I like buying for non-Brits are some of thebits and bobs from the London Transport Museum - a cushion for your friend's new couch upholstered in Tube seat material (hopefully new stuff rather than the stuff countless commuters have sat on) or bus boards - can you find a route where a bus driver hasn't cut you up. :wink:

5059.1432.240.240.FFFFFF.0.jpeg

John Lewis do some similar looking beermats (always suitable for Antipodean types) and bizarrely London bus/taxi/tube door stops
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Why not enter them for this. The memories will last longer than the jersey's!

http://www.accesssport.org.uk/ride-around-london
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    SimonAH wrote:
    Saw a.Marmite one on here a while back, can't get more British than that!
    True, but I wouldn't know if his missus would love it or hate it ;)
    Foskai do an A-Z of London one too
    Another good pattern, but that cushion idea is fantastic! Especially after reading this:
    I have a Foskal jersey. It's without doubt the worst made, ill-fitting jersey I've ever used. The zip on it is sub-Lidl quality and the material they use is god awful and sweaty as hell.
    Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the honest opinion - at £49 each, that's not good enough.

@msmancunia - you can get the jerseys here and probably other online shops. Evans have them if you want to try them for size, not sure if they'll stock the London patterns oop north.

@Cornerblock - they'd be up for the ride around London, but the poor buggers live in Auckland, getting married here:

2460461935_8974040106.jpg
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've had my Foska one for 18 months and it gets ridden every week. Fit wise its fine, the zip is OK (I prefer the chunky ones on my club top) and it seems to be made of the same material of the rest of my tops. Not sure if UE got a wrong un or he's actually shaped like an elephant, in which case I can understand the issues :wink:
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • I think things like that are excellent gifts. Shows you've really put some thought into it.

I've got 2 jerseys off 2 separate friends, one was way too small, but I never told her; anyway both over 10 years old and I still can't throw them away. Clothes seem to hold more memories than ordinary functional gifts and as it ties in with their hobby its a win win.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.