Mythic/Banshee Spitfire build thread - Full build pics p2

HandjobDan
HandjobDan Posts: 704
edited September 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Hey guys been a while since I've been on here and I haven't been able to ride for a while due to a broken ankle.

So in true withdrawal fashion I decided to do the only thing possible and that's build me a new bike!

I decdied I wanted to give full bounce another go and have selected a Mythic Spitfire frame as the willing volunteer. Some parts are new and others are left over from previous builds or second hand where budged couldn't stretch.

The list so far is:

Mythic Spitfire frame in Large White and Blue colour
th_DSCF0009.jpg

Superstar components Tapered headset

Hope Ceramic BB Gunsmoke colour

Shimano XT Cranks and Renthal SR4 ultralite chainring
th_DSCF0010.jpg

th_DSCF0011.jpg

Shimano SLX Rear Shifter, Shadow Rear Derraileur, SLX Casette and Chain 10 spd
th_DSCF0016.jpg

Sunline AM Stem and Spank 777 bars

Brakes: Magura Louise Carbon BAT 2007, 180 F and 160 R
th_DSCF0012.jpg

th_DSCF0013.jpg

th_DSCF0014.jpg

th_DSCF0015.jpg

SDG Bel Air SL saddle and I-Beam seatpost.

ODI X-Trainer grips

Transfil Mudlovers sealed cable system.

th_DSCF0017.jpg

I'll post pics of all the bits and the final build as I go. Any comments on the spec just let me know.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    oohhh look forward to seeing this built up, always thought they spitfires looked great fun, what happened to your blur 4x btw??
  • HandjobDan
    Hi Lawman, for my height the frame was always just a little small and felt compromised on anything but steep sketchy terrain, of which there is very little in Essex. I've made a promise to myself and have said that when it's done I will ride more and make an effort to see more of the great UK trails available. I think it'll be similar to the 4X able to take a but of a thrashing and slack angles, but a bit longer so more comfortable to ride all day.

I see you have a Mojo now, pretty trick bit of kit. How do you like it? They just don't seem to come up second hand much.

Did you ever get a 4X in the end?
  • lawman
    ahhh fair enough on the sizing, i've now noticed my maxlight is wayyyyy shorter than i thought it was :lol:

A 4x came up about january last year, but by the time the guy got back to me with a rpice i thought was reasonable, i'd already blown my funds blinging the maxlight, so was abit gutted about missing out, BUT then i got the mojo a few months back, and other than me being shallow and wishing it was a slightly different colour, silly i know, its bloody brilliant :D im off to uni in a month, so for now my search for a 4x is very much lacking funds, especially after getting the mojo too, but im hoping perhaps next summer i'll stumble upon one and finally get my hands on one of my dream bikes :)
  • HandjobDan
    Decided to change Bars and Stem for Nukeproof Warhead ones instead and have ordered a Sunline Chain device and Bashguard with a spring loaded bottom roller so it moves out the way in a collision.

I think it's shaping up nicely as a no-nonsense AM build.

I'm really impressed with the SLX stuff, good reliable shifting and looks pretty nice too.

What do you think? Pics are clickable for full size images.
  • lawman
    that looks bang tidy!! :shock: 8)

any idea how much the frame weighs??
  • HandjobDan
    Hi Lawman, I think the official weight is around about 6.5 thereabouts with shock. Most builds come to just under 30lbs depending on budget and spec obviously. I'm not fussed about weight as I don't weigh much, just want strong and fun.

Jus need to sort forks, thinking Van 36's or Lyrik's what do you reckon?

Seems like you're the only one interested in my bike!
  • HandjobDan
    Just been very naughty and bought a pair of 2011 Formula the Ones as I got them for a really good price and didn't want to risk missing out. Now all I need is someone to buy my Hope Tech brakes for sale on the classifieds!
  • looks like it could be a sweet ride when built mate, Mythic are a nice quality i like them mmm lol post pics when you done plz
  • lawman
    fork wise dependant on budget id go for 32 floats or the bos deville if youre feeling very bling 8)

http://www.biketart.com/products/bos-de ... uct-search

gotta say im well impressed by my floats, plush, great control and plenty stiff enough for me
  • HandjobDan
    Those deville's look pretty cool. Not sure if budget will stretch at the minute, wasn't looking at buying another set of brakes. So options are second hand or eBay stuff Lyrik Solo Airs, Sektor RL's or Rev Dual Air's. Or send my Pike to TF and have them push it and use it on both bikes and swap as needed.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    lawman wrote:
    fork wise dependant on budget id go for 32 floats or the bos deville if youre feeling very bling 8)

gotta say im well impressed by my floats, plush, great control and plenty stiff enough for me

Your running 36 Floats though?

The 32's are extremely flexy i found when pushed even with a 15mm bolt through, i'd hit a Rockshox fork for anything 32 now...
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

Your running 36 Floats though?

The 32's are extremely flexy i found when pushed even with a 15mm bolt through, i'd hit a Rockshox fork for anything 32 now...

im running 32's, but im a light weight, which is why i probably dont feel the flex :lol:
  • HandjobDan
    I'm a lightweight person and like to think I'm pretty smooth on trail but I like to be able to hit slightly harder stuff.

I'm waiting to hear back about a cheapish pair of Rockshox Lyrik Solo Airs that i Can get a MiCo damper for to convert it to an RL. Bit I think it's probably gonna be a PUSH service on the Pikes from TF Tuned and swap as needed for the time being. Then next year I'll check again and see what's around.

Some more bits came today, Stem and brake adapters, still waiting for bars and my chainguide to get the bottom bracket driveside cup installed and tent build can begin properly.

I'll sort out more pics when the other bits get here and then hopefully a completed build in a few days time.
  • HandjobDan
    updated pics of parts:

Nukeproof Handlebars
    th_DSCF0018.jpg

th_DSCF0022.jpg

th_DSCF0021.jpg

Nukeproof Stem
    th_DSCF0021.jpg

th_DSCF0026.jpg

Sunline V1 TravelGuideth_DSCF0024.jpg

th_DSCF0025.jpg

Formula The Ones '11
    th_DSCF0027.jpg

th_DSCF0028.jpg

th_DSCF0029.jpg
  • HandjobDan
    Also decided to get a SLX chainset from CRC in the sale, Double and Bash 22/36 although I'll be running it single ring with the guide.

What do you think so far?
  • lawman
    looking good so far :) i'd have gone for an e-13 or superstar chain device, not a fan of sunline stuff after issues i had with them at work, but other than that looks like an awesome build 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    HandjobDan, my main concern is that you no longer seem to own a Cove Handjob, and so your forum name now has some rather, erm, interesting connotations :lol:
  • HandjobDan
    Yeah yeehaamcgee, I can't change it now and am sorta stuck with what I thought was a good idea at the time :oops:

You still running and liking your Marins?

Lawman - I got the Sunline as it was only £40 from CRC and it has a spring loaded bottom roller to move out the way when you bash a rock, and the bash guard has brass inserts to protect the screw holes.

Just waiting on a few more bits and a bleed kit to trim the brake hoses down. Then pretty much done so hopefully after the weekend/next week full build pics and ride impressions.
  • Anonymous
    Yep, still liking my wolfridge. Been doing some truly stupid climbs with it recently as well, and it's comping fine.
    If you do want to change your forum name, message one of the admins, I guess Sonic or nicklouse could sort you out.
  • HandjobDan
    I'll give it some thought and if I can think of a better one I'll send one of them a message.

What do you mean ridiculous climbs. Do you single ring it? I'm gonna run this bike single ring and force myself to get stronger.
  • Anonymous
    I mean thousands and thousands of feet of climbing up loose bouldery steep-as trails :wink:
  • HandjobDan
    Sounds fun. Near you?, or further afield?

I plan to get to a lot more places when this is built up. Didn't use my last FS half as much as I should have. Plus the reviews say this is a really capable bike, build it solid and it'll handle quite a lot.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Nah, he means find a step locally on a gravel path of about 6" and ride up it many many thousand times to make the required height gain...
  • Anonymous
    :roll:
  • lawman
    Nah, he means find a step locally on a gravel path of about 6" and ride up it many many thousand times to make the required height gain...

QOTD!!!! :lol:
  • HandjobDan
    Well the SLX crankset arrived and has been fitted, the gears are on and indexed just need my bleed kit to sort the Formula Brake hoses and then she's ready to ride.

I've booked the Pikes in with TF Tuned for a service and upgrade to the PUSH dual rebound piston gonna take place in a few weeks. I'll keep an eye out for a good set of Lyriks or 36's and may get a pair at a later date. Most stuff's either trashed or expensive and some are both!

Been looking into getting a dropper post but not sure which one. Any recommendations?
  • well here it is everyone, a full build of the Spitfire. It's an interim setup as my The Ones had to go back due to a probable leaking master cylinder diaphragm so it has the Magura Louise brakes on and my old trusty Pikes now converted to coils and just had a service from TF.

Let me know what you think.
    DSCF0021-1.jpg

DSCF0025-1.jpg

DSCF0022-1.jpg

DSCF0023-1.jpg

DSCF0024-1.jpg

As you can see I've already Christened it with some fresh mud!
  • Nice ride, the frame looks like the Banshee I've seen last July around Uzès (South of France). Yours looks way better (imo) with the white frame.

Now you need taylor-made wheelswith blue nipples and blue hubs (One year with my hope pro II and I'm still in love :lol:).
  • Thanks for the comments I know what you're saying about the wheels, the only thing is I have Hope Pro II with Mavic EX721 rims on and they're indestructible. I've never done any maintenance and only had to tighten a few spokes the other day for the first time in 4 yrs.

I've heard contrasting reports about the Flows which would be my choice but I'd still get Hope Hubs so I don't hink it's worth it just for colour coding.

It's all brown when covered in mud anyway!