Sentimental over a bit of metal

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
ive recently sold one of my fleet of bikes so have decided to rebuild my prehistoric Scott mountain bike.

i mentioned this to the mrs last night an she said "why are you bothering with that old thing, is it not worth buying a different one an throwing that one away"

the bike in question is a 1995 (i think) Scott Tampico, not exactly rare or anything but i have had the bike since new an its travelled all around the uk with me on holidays etc an im really sentimental about it so there is no way i could get rid

is this just me or are all of you lot sentimental about bikes too?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    No. Next.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    damn your a cold hearted person!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Of course. I love my bike.
  • Yes, yes. I was very sad when I broke my old Orbea, but now I love the Equilibrium much more. Now I'm happy. New bike = Happy. See?

That sounded very much like permission from the Mrs to get a very nice carbon bike.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    permission from the Mrs to get a very nice carbon bike.

Exactly, she just told you to buy a new bike. You should do what she says, you'll be in trouble if you don't.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • We must do what we're told, right? Mmmm... How about titanium?
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Definately. I miss my GT that I had to unfortunately sell to buy my upgrade. We had a lot of good rides together and I think about it from time to time..

I wonder if it still thinks about me..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Is it steel?

The new CEN-compliant steel MTB frames aren't as nice to ride because of the now-notorious "pull test" (clamped at the BB, front wheel axle pulled away from the frame with double the force of the equivalent "push" test - more force than a CEN-compliant fork is actually able to transmit).

Worth keeping just for that.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    But how many pieces do you need to replace before it stops being the same bike?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    jds_1981 wrote:
    But how many pieces do you need to replace before it stops being the same bike?

Has to be the frame, once you replace that not the same bike.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I can relate.

I gave my 1992 Raleigh Banana 531c & 105 to my stepson.

Every time I see it now it is like bumping into an ex who still looks good. :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    mudcow007 wrote:
    is this just me or are all of you lot sentimental about bikes too?
    Left a motorbike that'd taken me around North & South America in a parking lot in Buenos Aires. Use 'em, abuse 'em, throw 'em away when you're done.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Triggers broom syndrome I think. One day you'll look t all your shiny new bits nd think, hmm a new frame next. Best to just start now and get a new bike mate.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.