What grease for jockey wheels?

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Just taken my jockey wheels off to give them a clean.

Will a bit of copper slip do for putting them back together or do I need something specific?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited August 2011
    I use grease that would have gone anywhere on a Series IIA Land Rover or a tractor of similar vintage. Lightly and sparingly mind, or someone'll jump on your back for not using a mix of GT85, WD40 and Plus Gas. LB11 I think it is.

Edit. Any grease will do. Don't know about CS.
  • Copper grease is only really any good for making sure threads don't stick. I don't think it does much in the way of lubrication. I thought you used a light oil for jockey wheels anyway, thick grease will just hold onto gunk.

Even better is to get some jockey wheels with bearings instead of bushes, so you never have to touch them again (until they wear out completely). BBB make some good ones which are reasonably priced.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I spray Dry Lube all over the drive train. Seems to work.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Sod it. Used copper slip now.

Been a bad day for bike maintenance.

Stripped the thread off the crank with a cheap Lidl crank puller and can't get the chain back on. Thankfully this is on the spare bike.

This is what happens when it rains.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Hmm.

In engineering applications grease is more generally used as a lubricant where either high temperatures or high pressures are likely to be encountered. Grease may also be used as a barrier.

I'm not sure what the various manufacturers recommend but, as jockey wheel bearings are not likely to run either hot or under pressure, and by the nature of the job they do they don't need that much protection, other than a quick smear of light grease on initial assembly (such as vaseline) I'd stick to a water resistant liquid lubricant. Personally, I use finish line.

You do need to be aware of what the bearing is made of and what the manufacturer recommends. For example. ceramic bearings may well require specific lubication.

Bob
  • Cheaper Shimano jockey wheels don't have bearings at all, merely bushings. They sometimes do have grease applied to protect the bushings from water. This grease does pick up crud, though.