Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited August 2011 in The hub
Bike hike is now baqck up and running by the looks of things

:D

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just had a look at it, what's it for, exactly? It would seem it's just a way of drawing paths on a map, is that right?
    Is there not a library of pre-created trails?
  • Kaise
    its just a very basic map/routing tool that you can export your .gpx files,

no adverts, easy to use and it has OS maps on there for free which are usefull for planning routes at times.

i started using it ages ago and i am a creature of habit and i hate adverts!
  • Anonymous
    Fair enough.
    What advantages does it have though, over Bing maps? Bing has full OS mapping too.
  • Kaise
    i hate microsoft - this is the only reason i have and i am sticking with it as being a correct answer
  • Anonymous
    erm. Seems rather irrational.
    I was kind of hoping for an unique, intelligent perspective.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    erm. Seems rather irrational.
    I was kind of hoping for an unique, intelligent perspective.

Can you plot courses on bing? Didnt realise you could (if you can)
  • Anonymous
    yes, I've been doing so earlier today, actually. And you can export them as GPX or KML files.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Bikehike allows you to plot routes using automatic routing based on Open Cycle Maps - makes plotting your route sooo much easier if not staying on the road.

Coupling that with OS maps, some easy to use controls and great UI makes it a winning combination.
  • Anonymous
    I have a bit of a grievance with opencycle maps, since the detail round here is woeful it's even missing some major roads!
  • Kaise
    i didn't know you can ploy routes with bing, i'll look in to it tomorrow.

i actually just in a habit of using the bike hike site as it was very simple and also worked with our firewall at work, i think they are the only reasons.

I posted the news as a few people had posted that it had gone down at the start of the week
  • Anonymous
    By all means, continue using bikehike, I was just curious what it's advantages were. I've heard several people mention it.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Up until a few years ago, Bikehike did have a database of routes that was actually very very good. There was loads of routes around where I used to live, and I saved to the database many of my rides. I think the guy that ran it announced on here that the database would be removed, though he never gave an explanation as to why. I wondered if, as each route could be labelled for hiking or biking, and many biking routes used footpaths, it was becoming too much hassle to have the database...
    I've never used bing maps, and though I'll probably just stick to what I know I'll go have a looksy next time I'm plotting.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Wasnt It due to being held liable if the routes were plotted on paths that you legally cant ride on, also if they're super dangerous etc.

Basically legal reasons if I remember rightly.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Ah, I never read that but assumed as much. Shame because it was a good database.