Daily Mail Quote of the Year

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,440
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
I actually LOL'd
One witness said: 'It was just at the start of the race. I didn't see what happened

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1U3nXEd2N

Seriously, how does that make them a witness? A very sad story, but I had to share that particular stand out line. They then go on to rant about the things they didn't see that makes them feel sick.

I think they just went looking for a 'witness' holding a copy of the mail on sunday.
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• Saw this on B3ta. They're bringing out a new Spiderman comic and the hero this time is a mixed-race kid.

My favourite comment so far-

"It feels like if you're white, heterosexual, single, able-bodied, law-abiding, English and live in England you have no rights at all."-Simon, Barnstable.

My god Simon, exactly my first thoughts too. On hearing an American magazine is relauching a cartoon character.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    One witness said: "It was just at the start of the race. I didn't see what happened, but I've heard his boat capsized and he never emerged from under the water.

"People have been frantically searching ever since. Other boats just rowed right past him. It makes me feel sick. None of them stopped to help. I don't know whether he was hit by any of the other canoes as they went past."

Why even mention it then?!

I don't know if any of them held him under. Best tell the papers I don't know that.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    pangolin wrote:
    One witness said: "It was just at the start of the race. I didn't see what happened, but I've heard his boat capsized and he never emerged from under the water.

"People have been frantically searching ever since. Other boats just rowed right past him. It makes me feel sick. None of them stopped to help. I don't know whether he was hit by any of the other canoes as they went past."

I don't know if any of them held him under. Best tell the papers I don't know that.

Did he feel that sick that he couldn't go help either. Sounds like he just likes the attention.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • prawny
    daviesee wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

Did he feel that sick that he couldn't go help either. Sounds like he just likes the attention.

He didn't see no one stop to help because he wasn't there so couldn't help/see they may have stopped but not helped he just doesn't know. Can you have a blind eyewitness?

I like the way that before this useless quote, they have an actual witness say that they saw him swimming to the side so there is no need for the sensationalist bollocks.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Tabloid gold. I bet the carp were polish immigrants as well..
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I think the splendid chaps at Mailwatch post increasingly bizarre remarks beneath Mail stories. One stupid story about a missing cat poster being torn down y the council attracted:

"Those missing cat posters are a con! I called the number that was printed on one and was invited to a drink and drugs party!"

Simon, Chichester.

Missing cat? Sod that, let's get ripped to the tits!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    This is what happens after forced immigration - English people adopt the cultures and foods of foreigners and think nothing of it. I say we outlaw foreign food such as this ghastly foreign "curry"and we get back to eating traditional ENGLISH food like plain boiled potatoes, so sick of these multicultural zealots and their "pasta" and "noodles" and "khorma" - I saw an English woman buying a FRENCH stick in the shop recently. When will it stop? red arrow me if you love force immigration.
    - alex c, bristol, 22/7/2011 11:04

:lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Or maybe this is another helmet/life jacket debate
  • prawny
    Or maybe this is another helmet/life jacket debate

It was mentioned in the article. To be honest though I don't see the point of a life jacket on flat water. If you're unconcious there's a fair chance you'd float face down anyway.

I never wore one and I'm fine (irony)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:
    This is what happens after forced immigration - English people adopt the cultures and foods of foreigners and think nothing of it. I say we outlaw foreign food such as this ghastly foreign "curry"and we get back to eating traditional ENGLISH food like plain boiled potatoes, so sick of these multicultural zealots and their "pasta" and "noodles" and "khorma" - I saw an English woman buying a FRENCH stick in the shop recently. When will it stop? red arrow me if you love force immigration.

:shock:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    bails87 wrote:

:shock:

HAS to be trolling...surely.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87
    The Mail comments, and the 'C*nt of the day' thread on mailwatch, are wonderful places for examining Poe's Law.
    MTB/CX

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    "It feels like if you're white, heterosexual, single, able-bodied, law-abiding, English and live in England you have no rights at all."-Simon, Barnstable.
    "Those missing cat posters are a con! I called the number that was printed on one and was invited to a drink and drugs party!"

Simon, Chichester.

Are all Mail readers called Simon?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bails87
    I love the fact he thinks he's got a 'right' to have a superhero with similar demographics to him. :lol:

Britain is worse than Syria because there are no middle aged, balding, overweight, double glazing salesmen called Simon portayed as superheroes.
    MTB/CX

• hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    prawny wrote:
    I actually LOL'd
    One witness said: 'It was just at the start of the race. I didn't see what happened

Seriously, how does that make them a witness? A very sad story, but I had to share that particular stand out line. They then go on to rant about the things they didn't see that makes them feel sick.

I think they just went looking for a 'witness' holding a copy of the mail on sunday.

LOL'd? really? Honestly, it's not really that funny is it? Particularly not in a story about a 17 year old canoeist dying in a tragic accident.
  • prawny
    hmbadger wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    I actually LOL'd

LOL'd? really? Honestly, it's not really that funny is it? Particularly not in a story about a 17 year old canoeist dying in a tragic accident.

F*cking Hell

Of course not at the story, I was actually really concerned about the incident as I've been involed in canoeing for most of my life, but I did think the journalism of this particular piece was laughably bad.

I actually just tried to quote the line from the story and not mention the incident at all but the mail site put it in it's self, must be some kind of copyright thing.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017