Is this a bargain or Ebay tat?

mybreakfastconsisted
mybreakfastconsisted Posts: 1,018
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cree-LED-5w-B ... 2118wt_905

Says 5 watt, but AAA batteries which I've used before and last hardly any time at all.

Got the Cateye EL320 on the front at the moment which is the best I've had, if a driver does a silly over-takey brakey just before the lights I'm sat behind them, lighting up their car like a provincial disco.

Comments

• Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    I have a couple of similar torches, and they are indeed very bright, but they each run off 2 CR123 3V rechargeable batteries. So I reckon you're right: this will eat batteries. Maybe use rechargeables and charge them at work?

Just my 2c.

J
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • Can't see where AAAs are specified, and the thing looks big enough to take 2 'C' size cells. In fact that is my major problem with ti; it looks like a very bulky and heavy item for use as a bike light if, like me, you remove your lights from your parked bike and carry them around in your pocket.

I have another issue in that there is no light visible from the side, something I like to see, but, those points apart, it looks a better deal than many high-powered lights costing a lot more and requiring the faff of separate batteries. Do you really need 5 watts though? I have a 3watt cree Tesco torch which can be strapped to the bike if needed, and this gives off a huge amount of light; enough for 25mph on an unlit country lane. My normal front light is a Halfords Bikehut 1 watt LED which I find adequate for lit streets, though I moan about the bulk. The rear is a Smart 1 watt which is superb; I have never seen a better back light.

Obviously the only way to assess the overall quality and effectiveness of an item like this is to take the risk and buy it. I have had issues with cheapo metal bodied lights in the past, in that they are prone to shoritng out and being impossible to turn off, and that the switches tend to be of extremely poor quality. I won't be helping you by buying this and reporting back on it as I am satisfied with my existing set-up, but if you are looking for a powerful light and the bulk does not worry you, it may be worth a punt at less than a tenner.
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    There's some text in the picture, which says "Takes 3 AAA batteries (not included)." They fit in the caddy, which is behind the single battery shown in the picture.

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • Get one from Deal Extreme that takes big rechargeable batteries, a charger and some Lithium batteries. Same price, but you'll save on batteries. Three AAAs would last an hour or so in a decent torch, would cost a fortune over the course of the winter.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    I've got one of them.

It's very bright and has worked the 2 times I've used it so far as I bought it a couple of months ago and I've only really commuted home once late enough to need a light and once when it was really throwing it down.

It's been used for well over an hour and there is no sign of any lessening of brightness. Yes it's 3 AAA batteries, what you see in the picture is the caddy with 3 batteries mounted. I'm not expecting to eat that many batteries but only time will tell.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I bought these for my sons, six, in five months ALL have packed up.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Could I suggest one of these as an alternative...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrafire-501 ... 43a88a6cfa

I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to cycling gear and accessories and will do hours of research on forums etc to find out real user opinions before buying anything. This torch seemed to come out really well and has proved it in just over a year as it small, waterproof, stays cool and is very, very bright.

As a comparison, I live on a very dark street and can honestly say there is little difference in my 'headlight' and that of my next door neighbour's Range Rover with its HID system in lighting up the very dark front drive. Depending on the emitter the torch comes with most will have a claimed output of 900 lumens, however, if you read around you'll find these figures can be very subjective - even for the stupidly expensive 'bike specific' lights (if you can call a light using the same 4 LED as a torch 1/5 its price with the only difference being its fancy casing and its 'special' handlebar/helmet bracket). My geekery (if there is such a word) has not led me to buying a light measure to test this, so all I can say is that my 3 mode version does the job and some, especially compared to the Exposure Spark I use it in conjunction with - which incidently cost four times the amount I got the torch, 2 rechargable baterries and charger for. Doh!

It takes 1X Li-ion 18650 3.7v rechargable battery which lasts for ages. I've always got mine on solid beam and on longer night time rides (eg Dunwich Dynamo) it will last 3+ hours before you notice any dimming.

The shop I bought it from on ebay also has this website which is very helpful when comparing beam patterns etc...www.torchythebatteryboy.com

And before anyone asks, no, I'm not said ebayer :)
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I used to use some of the 9 gazzilion lumen torches on my bike.

The I realised that I was just being a cnut a blinding everyone coming the other way. I now find a 1w torch to be more than enough even in places with no street or ambient lighting at all.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Thanks all, I'll stick with the |Cateye I think.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Asprilla wrote:
    I used to use some of the 9 gazzilion lumen torches on my bike.

The I realised that I was just being a cnut a blinding everyone coming the other way. I now find a 1w torch to be more than enough even in places with no street or ambient lighting at all.

I used a single Fenix L2D as a front light, no idea how many lumens it puts out but I still get bitchy comments from people about it being too bright sometimes!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I use a supernova airstream silly bright but doesn't blind people due to the moustache beam shape. Plus you can turn it down.

It's very expensive but perfectly designed for purpose and excellent uk support.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I have a Philips led bike light, the best road bike light bar none and it doesn't blind anyone .It's also much cheaper than similar ones.
    Smarter than the average bear.