Tightening up Tiagra Cranks...

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited August 2011 in The workshop
....I'm generally useless at bike maintanence, I usually rely on my dad! I can fix a puncture, adjust gearing to a certain extent, tighten the headest etc, but much more than that and my knowledge runs out...

...Anyway, my dad changed the 52T chainring on my standard double, full 2010 Tiagra groupsetted Ribble bike. He took the cranks out completely, changed the chainring, re greased and put it back together again. That was about 2 weeks ago and yesterday I noticed that the entire crank system shifts loosely sideways by about a millimetre or 2, from left to right, within the bottom bracket bit of the frame.

I phoned my dad and rather than have to drag the bike back home for him to tighten it, he says that as far as he can tell from my description all I need to do is loosen the little plastic cap thing off the end of the left crank (with the special Shimano tool thing), loosen the allen key bolts, squeeze the whole thing together, re tighten the allen key bolts and then tighten the plastic cap.

Does that all sound about right? Just want to confirm with you lot before I have a go and bodge it....
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    he has it the wrong way round.
    The plastic cap thingy is to be tightened before the two pinch bolts to remove the lateral play that you're complaining about. The special tool is quite small to stop you over tightening it.

Undo everything
    tighten the plastic cap
    do up the pinch bolts evenly (ie do them in turn until theyre both tight. ideally use a torque wrench)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    PS fwiw I find the plastic cap is not moveable once the pinch bolts are tight.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... tra-torque
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Thanks a lot.... Will give it a go...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.