whats you most awesome roadie reading material??

ozzy1000_0
ozzy1000_0 Posts: 144
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
hi all,
I've just finished reading "its all about the bike" and "the fall and rise of david millar"... but i'm about to go on my hols and want to order somthing to read whilst away.

can anyone reccomend a good roadie book that will inspire??

is cav's "boy racer" any good??

Comments

• Cav's book is really good

"Put me bike on my bike" about tom simpson is good too.

"We were young and carefree" or whatever it's called - Fignon's biog
  • Cav's book was a decent read.

Ned Boulting's book looks like it should be pretty good as well, it's gonna be next on my list.
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    Currently reading Cav's book and agree its a good read and quite insightful into the rise of an amateur into a pro.

The book I recommend is Paul Kimmage's 'Rough Ride'. Its a good read about the pro scene in the 80's and the pressures they faced regarding whether to dope or not.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Cavs book is well written, opinionated and insightful. I enjoyed it.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Rough ride is very Good. Boy Racer also good,

The death of Marco Pantani was good if a bit of a trawl....

I cant wait to read "We were young and carefree".

i'd also recomend a Book called 23 days in July - life as a domestique, victor pena i beleive, during lances 6th Tour win.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    I agree Rubertoe about 'The Death of Marco Pantani' being a bit of a trawl, I found I wanted to know more about his riding and less about the doping and blood analysis. Glad I read it though, but its not one I'm gonna pick up for a re-read.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I really enjoyed The Beautiful Machine by Graeme Fyfe.
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    The Pantani book is very good but quite harrowing, especially for a holiday read.

I really enjoyed Richard Moore's Slaying the Badger. It will have you looking over your shoulder to check that Hinault isn't creeping up behind you though!
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    I'd add a vote for "We Were Young and Carefree" by Fignon.

Otherwise "In Search of Robert Millar" by Richard Moore is a good read. Better book than "Slaying The Badger" IMO. The latter is quite clunkily written in places and it grated quite a bit.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If a roadie can only read one book, s/he should read The Rider by Tim Krabbé
  • homercles wrote:
    Otherwise "In Search of Robert Millar" by Richard Moore is a good read.

ah yes, somehow forgot to mention this. I couldn't put it down when I read it
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    If a roadie can only read one book, s/he should read The Rider by Tim Krabbé

If it's inspiration you're looking for, yes, this. Great shout Rick.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Nuggs wrote:
    I really enjoyed The Beautiful Machine by Graeme Fyfe.

I was really disapponted by it!
    Another vote for The Rider, also The Hour by Michael Hutchinson is a great read (but not strictly roadie I suppose).
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    I didn't like 'Put me back on my bike' The story is good but the way it is written was poor. Currently on 'In search of Robert Miller' - good so far.
    The Flying Scotsman - Good read

Must get a hold of 'The Rider' - sounds good.

-Spider-
  • LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    rubertoe wrote:
    Rough ride is very Good. Boy Racer also good,

The death of Marco Pantani was good if a bit of a trawl....

I cant wait to read "We were young and carefree".

i'd also recomend a Book called 23 days in July - life as a domestique, victor pena i beleive, during lances 6th Tour win.

23 Days in July is by Team SKY's Michael Barry, "A Significant Other" by Matt Rendell was about Victor Pena.

Reading "Rough Ride" and have "Slaying the Badger" on Kindle for afters. Summer reading so far:

"The Fall & Rise of David Millar"
    "How I won the Yellow Jumper" by Ned Boulting
    "We were Young and Carefree"
    "Cadel Evans: Close to Flying" (I suspect this will be updated soon)
    "The SKY's the Limit: British Cycling's Quest to conquer the Tour de France" by R Moore
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    French revolutions is also pretty good if your not after a biog.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    The Death of Marco Pantani is very good.

After that I've got "The Hour Sporting immortality the hard way" by Michael Hutchinson lined up.

In a general daft sports kinda read "we could be heroes" by Tom Fordyce & Ben Dirs is excellent, very funny and a great read
  • If a roadie can only read one book, s/he should read The Rider by Tim Krabbé

This is an actual scientific FACT
  • -spider- wrote:
    The Flying Scotsman - Good read.

Wasn't that keen on this one. FOund him a bit of a moaner constantly going on about how life was so hard. There's only so much of the violins I can cope with.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    For more relaxed reading I would also reccomend How I won the Yellow Jumper and french Revoloutions.

If you like French Revoloutions, Tim Moores book about doing the Santiago de Compostella path with a Donkey is also a good read!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    edited August 2011
    In search of Robert Millar is a very good read, also a vote for "the hour sporting immortality the hard way" and French revolutions.

BTW if you're a roadie that can read, well done you, I had to get the mrs to read them to me. :lol::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Slaying The Badger - the greatest cycling book yet - a MUST.

I bought Ned Boultings book and found it absolutely terrible. Really terrible. I didnt even finish it. Really annoyed I got sucked into all the hype about it. The first few chapters that I managed are him droning on with unfunny anecdotes and reminding the reader constantly how he knew nothing of cycling and didnt know how he ended up on the Tour, which I just found even more irritating.
  • ddraver
    edited August 2011
    DP
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ^^hmm, as someone who also came to pro cycling late, perhaps i could Identify with him more, I enjoyed it, was nt great literature, but still I enjoyed it.

I also like the personal, sometimes mundane, view behind cycling. I find the sycophantic hero worshipping that one can commonly find in cycling literature/journalism somewhat tiresome sometimes...
    - @ddraver
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    The man who cycled the world - Mark Beaumont

Very interesting read!
    FCN: 6
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    It may be an insight into the worst of 90's pro cycling and a very very short read but 'Breaking the Chain' by Willy Voet is a seriously interesting book.

Alot of the other mentioned here are decent reads. I particularly like Fignon's. In fact Fignon's is my favourite. It's just nicely written and sets the scene and atmosphere very well.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    -spider- wrote:

Wasn't that keen on this one. FOund him a bit of a moaner constantly going on about how life was so hard. There's only so much of the violins I can cope with.

That was actually part of the story - his confidence/belief in himself - it is what drove him on and what destroyed him (he attempted to take his own life).

I accept that some people don't like it - but then, thankfully, we're all different.

-Spider-
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Tim Krabbe - The Rider

Awesome book. Its literally about a rider (the author) riding a single race from start to finish and nothing else. Different concept compared to the usual historical/biographical type cycling books, but this was such a good read that I literally started reading it again once I'd finished the first time around
  • -spider- wrote:
    -spider- wrote:

That was actually part of the story - his confidence/belief in himself - it is what drove him on and what destroyed him (he attempted to take his own life).

I accept that some people don't like it - but then, thankfully, we're all different.

I understand that's part of the story, but I found some of what he was moaning about to be stuff that everyone faces. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really have much sympathy for people who moan about stuff. Life is what you make of it. Bad stuff happens, get over it. There are plenty of people out there who've come from terrible backgrounds or whatever and made something of their lives.