What tools do I need for new crankset?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Bought various bits recently including new wheels, cassette, chain, seat etc.

So far so good & ordered the following to fit the cassette:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7975

I've also ordered:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40496

So wondering what tools I'm going to need to fit it? The crankset is replacing the orig as supplied with the bike, spec here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=

So really what am I likely to need, is it a universal tool or are they specific between manufacturers and bottom brackets?

As always, thanks for the help.

Comments

• russboy
    Oh just to add, frame is now a 2011 Nail Trail as replaced under warranty but doubt that'll change much
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of the info on Parktools.

a crank puller. which depends on the cranks fitted. a BB tool again depends on the cranks fitted. you may also need the BB shell face it depends on what was fitted before,

and you will need a HT2 BB cup tool and a preload tool.

all the info can be found on Park tools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • flet©h
    flet©h Posts: 88
    You need one of these to fit the new BB and chainset (and some Allen keys)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10179

10179.jpg

Can't see whether your current bike has an external BB or a square taper BB, if its external then this tool will take the old one off. If its square taper you will need a tool for that but since it would be one use and then no longer needed you would be better taking it to the LBS and asking them to remove it.

Also if the frame hasn't been faced for an external BB that will need doing at the LBS.[/img]
  • russboy
    Fairly sure it has a square taper BB at the mo as the tool above would not remove the existing as the tool needs to fit inside as such.

May well be worth leaving it to the professionals on this occasion then.
  • flet©h
    flet©h Posts: 88
    The tools for square taper aren't expensive but if you don't have another bike with that type of BB you will never need them again.

Cheaper to take it to the LBS and pay them with biscuits and loyalty (or cash if they want it for such a quick task).

Get the tool and fit the new one yourself though, its very easy and then you can do it again next time.
  • russboy
    They reckon its going to be £50 to take out the old & put in the new & do a gear service.

He said this to take out the existing (said without seeing the bike though):

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/raleigh-bb- ... is-p137672

To install the tool was fairly generic, total cost of tools £27, I already have a crank puller & allen keys

Can no doubt get the tools cheaper online but will have to wait for them to be delivered.

Wondering what the likes of chain reaction have in replacement for these 2 tools as they seem to manage next day deleivery whenever i've ordered from them.
  • nicklouse
    but the BB will need facing as it has not had an external BB in it before.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • russboy
    nicklouse wrote:
    but the BB will need facing as it has not had an external BB in it before.

Is that a def 100% then, as doubt they would do it by the sounds of it
  • nicklouse
    every frame I build get the cutters on it. even if it is just to check.
  • russboy
    Looks like im screwed again then as not confident the shop down the road will do it. Only other place nearby are not able to do it in the near future
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Deore external BB are about £14. Try without facing and the only thing you can damage really is that - so only £14 should it go tits up and is screwed in a couple of weeks.
  • russboy
    Deore external BB are about £14. Try without facing and the only thing you can damage really is that - so only £14 should it go tits up and is screwed in a couple of weeks.

Lol, at least by then i'd be confident on doing it I suppose!

Would also be useful having the tool for maintenance in the future I suppose. I reckon online i'd save maybe £10 so prob worth just buying the tools on my way home.
  • Get the BB shell faced - I wasn't going to bother (and i'm still not convinced there is a water-tight Engineering case for doing it) but I was amazed how much material was removed from mine to get it square..