Converting to a Double Chainset

MartinGT
MartinGT Posts: 475
edited August 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am looking at converting to a double chainset.

Whats the logistics, cost etc?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    about 4 quid.

well that is the minimum cost for some crank bolt washers.

or up to a grand for a new 10spd double drive train.

more info needed.

what are you really wanting to do?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Between nothing and £1,000

Unscrew then screw on if you've got something new.
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    I was looking at a new chainset really.

I have the following in mind, is there anything else I would have to change?

Chainset
    Rear Mech
    Casette & Chain (10sp)
    Shifters
  • nicklouse
    MartinGT wrote:
    I was looking at a new chainset really.

Chainset
    Rear Mech
    Casette & Chain (10sp)
    Shifters

so this is a buying not tech question?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You don't 'need' to change anything. To get a double from a triple you can just remove the inner ring and you'll have 2 rings, may not be conventional, but you'll have 2 rings.

What are you trying to achieve?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nicklouse wrote:
    about 4 quid.

Relevant off the shelf washer from hardware store, 11p each! So just remove outer ring and use washers on the crank bolts, that or get single ring specific bolts or get a bash that is the same thickness as a ring.

If you want an all new chainset then that's very different and becomes a buying advice thread!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:
    about 4 quid.

Relevant off the shelf washer from hardware store, 11p each!

Simon

find me some then.

they are a non standard size. in ID and OD and required thickness.
  • phildaw
    phildaw Posts: 49
    So are you going from 3x9 to 2x10?

I went from 3x9 to 2x9 for about £15, which was the cost of a Sunline Plastic Bashguard (which came with all the washers/nuts etc..)

I guess for a change to 2x10 you will need those parts you listed, but for the extra cost, I think I would stick with 2x9 :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I used some M8 washers from a hardware store to space out an M970 inner ring so I could run a double. That was on the male half of the bolt though, the female half may be different.

Chainset
    Rear Mech
    Casette & Chain (10sp)
    Shifters

To go 2x10 that's the lot, unless your stuff is properly haggared I'd not bother though (and I've been on 10 speed for 2 years). IMO 2x10 isn't a big improvement over 2x9, just fit new rings to your existing cranks for a cheaper solution. I liked 28/40.
  • nicklouse
    njee20
    if it was a big inner then yep I can see it working but otherwise you end up mcatching the chain.

the ring holes are just under 10mm (9.8).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nicklouse wrote:
    find me some then.

they are a non standard size. in ID and OD and required thickness.

I just took the bolts and a verniers (had measured the thickness of the chainring) to my local hardware store and found a perfect match, can't recall the size but it was an M something washer.......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    you must have been very very lucky as there are very few out there that actually work.

for both ID and OD.