Exploding wheels

dhope
dhope Posts: 6,699
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
At about 1.45 this morning I heard a loud bang which sounded like it was coming from the hallway. Confused (and tired) I wandered through to see whether a picture had fallen off the wall or a bike had fallen over or something that could account for the noise.
Bikes fine, everything in order. Still confused, still tired. Sod it, back to bed.

This morning the back tyre appears to be rubbing as I start to wheel it toward the door. Odd. Oh, the tyre is off the rim. No, the inner tube has blown itself apart right around the valve with enough force to push the Durano Plus right out of the rim.

Still confused, still tired, leave it and grab the other bike.

Exploding inner tubes? What gives? The bike would have been stationary for 6 hours and I'd been commuting on those shiny new rims/tyres/tubes for a month.
Rose Xeon CW Disc
CAAD12 Disc
Condor Tempo

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Obviously mice having a turf war, a stray bullet must have gone through the tyre.

That or ninjas. Did you see any ninjas when you went downstairs? If no, then there were probably ninjas there somewhere.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    When this happened to me it was the damage to to the tyre bead. Although mine were rigid I think Durano's are folding. Under high pressure the bead would slip off and the inner tube would push through the gap and give you the mother of all pinch flat (in my case 4 inch long slit in inner tube). I would change the tube pump it up all was fine then a few mins latter "bang". Solution was a new tyre although everything looked fine.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope
    Hrm, hope its not a new tyre required.
    I did get it from Wiggle...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Could have been a pinched tube. I once did 250 miles on one before it let go. Or maybe the rim is at the end of its life; it will have become concave if so.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • dhope
    Wheels and tyres both very new, only a few hundred miles on them at most - think it was the rear which doesn't even have a braking surface so rim should have zero wear.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    May be the inner tube wasn't in quite straight and the valve was coming out of the hole in the rim at a bit of an angle, putting strain on the tube, which finally gave way...?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I highly doubt this is the case given the usual weather, but it wasn't leant up next to a radiator or heat source that could have weakened the section of tube near the heat source?
  • dhope
    Keith1983 wrote:
    I highly doubt this is the case given the usual weather, but it wasn't leant up next to a radiator or heat source that could have weakened the section of tube near the heat source?

Nope, not near anything that might affect temp/pressure.
    May be the inner tube wasn't in quite straight and the valve was coming out of the hole in the rim at a bit of an angle, putting strain on the tube, which finally gave way...?

Possibly, just strange it chose 2am to give out. Will put a new tube in this evening and see how things fare, then if I get another odd blowout I'll RMA to Wiggle and request Haribo as extra compensation.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Could be an incendiary device planted in your tyre at the Morpeth.

About a month ago we had a glass wardrobe door explode at 3am in the morning. Sounded like a gunshot in the room - scared the living £$%^ out of us.
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    Does the rim have recesses for the spokes? If you're running high pressures [~100psi+] and the rim tape isn't up to the job, you can get random punctures becuase the tube is holed by the edge of the spoke recess. had this myself and it drove me bananas till I worked it out. Fix: sand the edges of the recesses and use better rim tape.

Just my 2c.

J
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • dhope
    Jehannum wrote:
    Does the rim have recesses for the spokes? If you're running high pressures [~100psi+] and the rim tape isn't up to the job, you can get random punctures becuase the tube is holed by the edge of the spoke recess. had this myself and it drove me bananas till I worked it out. Fix: sand the edges of the recesses and use better rim tape.

Just my 2c.

J

Hm, interesting, not sure.
    Weinmann DP18s, handbuilt by a bloke who makes them for the track, so imagine they're well used to high pressures. They'd have been anywhere around 100psi (in that I inflate to 120 but hadn't checked in a week)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    My rim exploded on Monday (worn out), and blew 1/4 of the rim right off. To top it off I'd gone the long way home (20 miles) and was 10 miles from home, so had to phone my missus to come and collect me. Didn't half go with a bang. Currently re-building both wheels.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Had similar incident once about an hour after changing a wheel, turns out I'd forgotten the rim tape. :oops:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • dhope
    Definitely has tape.
    Maybe its not aligned right around the valve hole or something and the tube has caught.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's exciting installment
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,381
    JZed wrote:
    Could be an incendiary device planted in your tyre at the Morpeth.

About a month ago we had a glass wardrobe door explode at 3am in the morning. Sounded like a gunshot in the room - scared the living £$%^ out of us.

Sure that wasnt' a (rather rubbish) sniper mistakenly taking a shot at your reflection?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition