Reading to Hindhead

straas
straas Posts: 338
edited August 2011 in Commuting chat
Any locals know a good enough route between these two? I'm getting the train to Reading tomorrow morning then have to cycle over to Hindhead but don't know the area at all!

Wishing I'd bought a garmin right about now!
FCN: 6

Comments

• el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Direct then just go Shinfield - Arborfield - Eversley - Fleet - Farnham - Hindhead.

Fairly standard A-roads, no dual carriageway from memory. Crossing the A30 can be a bit hairy. If you would like something a little more rural there are plenty of options but not as direct.
    <a>road</a>
  • straas
    straas Posts: 338
    cheers, I've just re-read my question, and in my haste it looks like a lazy attempt at getting people to plan me a route!

I was looking more for a rural type route as I've streetviewed (?) some of the direct A roads and they appear to be dual carriageways with a small hard shoulder and I'll be carrying a couple of large panniers (and praying my back wheel can take them)

I've used cyclestreets to plan this journey http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/984421/ and was looking to do the balanced route.

I suppose I'm just asking if there's anything I should avoid if people have local knowledge, I'll try to avoid that A30 then!
    FCN: 6
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Your balanced route looks fine and does avoid most of the busy stretches. B ecareful on the A33 out of Reading, especially don't get caught up in the M4 junction as they've recently remodelled it with 2 concentric roundabouts (I kid you not). Although there may be cycle paths.

the direct route on that map does include a lot of dual carriageway and I wouldn't recommend it. My original route above basically goes between the 2 routes on your map and is a compromise, pretty much on single carriageway a-roads.
    <a>road</a>